that lump in the throat

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have seen many people complaining of :

Dry mouth or throat

Lump in throat

Choking feeling

All these things are super common with anxiety, but how does everyone deal with them? When they seem a constant problem they seem impossible to shift!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had that lump in my throat for a very long time. Almost like someone was trying to pull my tongue out of my mouth when I got anxious.. Its an awful feeling. I went on Celexa and It helped with that symptom... Pretty much the only symptom that has went away so far.... 
    • Posted

Well that's good that it went away for u! It feels for me like its just always there, when I eat and drink it isn't which is normal I think, but just feels like such a physical lump!
    • Posted

For the longest time I was sure it was cattarh at the back of my nose or throat ,so would spend ages trying to clear it. Which was pointless of course as there was nothing to clear. Would also end up with a really dry mouth and throat as I was swallowing so much which of course made it worse
  • Posted

Hi. Oh I hate when that throat thing happens. I can't deal with it. Feels like a baseball there or my neck is taped. Awful. I meditate.
  • Posted

Yes I get fry throat now also, coughing and lump but since Zoloft, and zyprexa. It went away in one day.
  • Posted

I am new to this experience and keep thinking there is something physically wrong with me. My throat sometimes feels like it closing up and my mouth get really dry.When i eat i somethings feel like i cant swallow the food, is this normal?
    • Posted

When our mouths become dry it is harder to swallow, and the lump feeling is partially because our throat muscles tighten which again make is harder to swallow. Do you swallow more often too to try and move it?
  • Posted

Hello I've gotten this the past several months. Feels like food gets stuck. Or I can feel it when I swallow which I never had before. And that lump feeling Dr. Said should go away in week. That's awful , its like someone pressing on my neck /throat bones. Lord I feel like I will suffocate but I can breath just fine. Anyone on here taking sertraline ? And ativan.

• Posted

Hello i have this since being on sertraline i notice this thread was a year ago,do you still have this symptom I've had it for a few months now it's horrible please reply if you read this

• Posted

Well I ended up at the doctors again with the lump, it was driving me crazy. He said of course, your throat is fine, can't feel anything suspicious either. All of which I knew, he did suggest trying a steroid nasal spray if I wanted and gargling with lukewarm salted water. Anyone tried these? The lump does feel better since I've been as does the choking feeling. Which I think is because I was reassured. He said warning signs are actually vomiting up and choking on food and physically being unable to swallow. Which if we're honest just doesn't happen. It makes such fools of us doesn't it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.