The 10th Month mark

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello people once again Its now 21/04/2018. I started to feel unwell with this horrific virus on the 22/06/2017 what an absolute b*****d this illness is. Progress has been slow as you already know if you have this. Although Im getting back slowly im around 80% there back to normal, I still get symptoms. The trouble is the virus has gave me an under active thyroid. So any symptoms I get Im not sure whether its the glandular fever or the hypothyroidism. People who are just starting out with this virus believe me it does get better albeit really slow pace. I still get the mental side going on a bit, waves of depression and anxiety. Despite never suffering with these before. I cycle to work 5 days a week 30 miles a week trying my best to just carry on as normal. This forum has been brilliant and ill keep you good people updated as I go along.

Thanks for reading   

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Jelley,

The virus left a dent in my confidence too which took a good while to get back, but it does come as recovery progresses - it really does. And although it's 80% now, it will still go upwards towards 100%, 10 months was the point things really started to get better for me and the few months after that were happy ones because I felt more free and able to do things - I truly believe that is going to happen for you Jelley.

Remember not to overdo it with the exercise too much as it can set you back a bit, building up activity sensibly over time is always best, I know people say that but with this virus I think it's definitely true, as I would be one before for just jumping in and trying to go back from 30 or 40% to 100% in one go.

Really hoping that the under active thyroid can settle for you, I don't know much about it but do believe they can manage these things well with medication and hoping that means you can live a full and healthy life without that bothering you.

It's always good to hear from you and folks can definitely take your words as words of hope and encouragement that this virus can and does get better with time! Thinking of you still and you are going to 100% get there I do believe still!!

Craig

• Posted

I started feeling sick on September 23rd, so it's been almost 7 months for me. Although I'm almost back to normal, things have never been the same as they were before mono. The virus messed up my immune system, I started getting lots of allergies (mainly rhinitis), and I'd never been allergic to anything at all.

Last week I took a look at my tonsils and I saw little white dots on them (the same dots I had when I started to get sick). It was a reminder that the virus is still there... although they disappeared after a couple of days.

I've noticed that if I get stressed or worried, I start feeling tired and exhausted. I also had to give up drinking every now and then (it hasn't been easy), because even the slightest amount of alcohol makes me feel sick.

I'd say that I'm 90% recovered, but I'm still angry. Because there's no cure and the virus will always be there. And the thought that it can lead to lymphoma really terrifies me.

When I was sick I was reading a message board about lymphoma, and there was this guy who started feeling unwell. His antibodies against EBV were rising and later on he was diagnosed with lymphoma, and he was only in his 30's. confused I know the risk is low but if someone doesn't take good care of their bodies, bad things can happen. 

This virus has taught me to have regular check ups and to try not to expose my body to harmful things. I also stopped neglecting any symptoms, it made me more hypochondriac than I already was. But I really believe a 100% recovery is possible. That's a positive thing I guess.

• Posted

Yep It really should be looked into more because it really puts your life on hold.
    • Posted

Hi Dan,

I'm glad you're seeing progress and feeling 90% recovered, that is a good thing. It's understandable to be feeling so frustrated, I do want to reassure that you still will reach 100% - it took me even longer than you to make it to 90% but then I went on to make 100% and not have bother at all the following years, so things will still progress positively until you reach 100% and you will be able to do all the things you enjoy doing again with your body resilience returned, I truly believe. Hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

It sure does put your life on hold Jelley, never a truer word spoken!! But then your life comes back again, just remember that in the hard times - you will get there!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.