The amount of bend you "should" be at

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a chat with my physiotherapist last week and asked her about knee bend   (is how we tend to refer to it here in Oz).  

I asked her if we all need a bigger number and she said "no".  

She said that some people just aren't going to get bigger numbers simply because of the size of the leg.  eg - how can you make a knee go totally flat if you have big legs.

It's more about what can you do and practice things like getting out of chair with no hands, deep bends like squatting and mini squats. Balancing on one foot and rising on the ball of your foot etc.  So don't focus on the numbers just do the practise.

In a nutshell - do the work and you'll be able to do more!

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry - wish you could edit a previous comment - what I meant about making a knee go totally flat - I'm referring to when you're standing or sitting - not when you're lying flat.  

• Posted

Absolutely. It just discourages people when they start to focus on a few degrees this way or that. Large (fatter) legs don't bend as far either...the soft tissues limit bend. Once swelling dies down things improve a lot, as long as folk keep the leg moving and don't start inflicting agony on themselves, progress is made with time. On rare occasions certain people may have adhesions within the joint which cause a hard stop to their bend, but this is the exception, not the rule.

Did not realise you are from Oz! Interesting to get a world wide perspective! Well, we seem to have UK, USA, and Australia at least! Anyone from anywhere else?

• Posted

Yes, exactly!  I have been feeling so bad for the people who have been pushed by their physiotherapists to get a better number and it makes me so sad to hear.
    • Posted

Hi. I am from the hip forum. Have jumped over here as my husband is having his knee done on Friday. I'm from NZ.

• Posted

Hi! I hope it goes well for him! Keep us posted.! Get him to say hello!
    • Posted

Hey Jenny..... I'm from Canada.... 4 1/2 weeks post !!!   And you guys have been my lifesavers this past month... Hugs to all of you

• Posted

It is a helpful forum, great to have your participation! No doubt you will be helping others with your own experience too!
  • Posted

I had my knee replaced in November last year.  I did get quite worried at one point of the journey as my bend was slow to improved despite hydrotherapy and physio.  Once I reached 90 bend and -8 straightening I finished physio and stopped worrying about the numbers.  I feel great again. Still do my exercises, walk and swim.  I don't think my bend will ever be 120/130 but does it matter - I can do what I need to with no pain just the occasional stiffness.  As for straightening well, my other leg doesn't sit flat to the floor so I'm not really expecting the operated leg to either.  Glad you are doing well - and it's a good tip for anyone - don't get too hung up on numbers, do your exercises and get well everyone. 😊

• Posted

Thanks Jane.

Your post has given me encouragement. Don't think I'll ever be at a 120. Due to previous knee surgeries I wasn't going into it at 120.

As long as I can bend and move it and have no pain I'm good. :-)

• Posted

You are right.  As long as you can do everything you did before your knee problem and the tkr; everyone is different.
  • Posted

That is pretty much true, Cheryl. The numbers - the amount of degrees - tells us how much we need to be able to function. In other words, in order to best and most efficiently be able to get in and out of a chair you need at least 100, depending on how tall or how short you are and how tall or short the chair is.

So the numbers can't be dismissed because we know how much we need to get in order for those things to happen.

And if we are working with someone and we measure and only get 75, 80, 85 degrees, we know that getting in and out of a chair - or completing some other task - is going to be very difficult. So it gives us something to shoot for.

Really no different than knowing how much time it takes to get to the airport so you don't miss your flight.

It's like they say, "the numbers don't lie."

• Posted

Hi Cheryl 

Well done and well said. I have always wondered how I was going to manage to get a big bend on very large thighs, no matter what I do there is always a lot of tissue (read fat here😊wink that gets in the way.

i do 30 minutes exercise three times a day so I am doing my very best and now 

I am trying to focus not necessarily on the number but how it relates to my good knee and so far on the table there is just 5cm between them in four weeks. So I've decided to stop beating myself up and be happy with my progress. 

Life looks a little rosier then.

• Posted

Good on you Tricia.  My legs are also big - just my genetics, nothing I can do. Generally the doctors here in Oz don't take much notice of all of this.  We all just need to filter it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.