The amount of bend you "should" be at

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a chat with my physiotherapist last week and asked her about knee bend   (is how we tend to refer to it here in Oz).  

I asked her if we all need a bigger number and she said "no".  

She said that some people just aren't going to get bigger numbers simply because of the size of the leg.  eg - how can you make a knee go totally flat if you have big legs.

It's more about what can you do and practice things like getting out of chair with no hands, deep bends like squatting and mini squats. Balancing on one foot and rising on the ball of your foot etc.  So don't focus on the numbers just do the practise.

In a nutshell - do the work and you'll be able to do more!

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey! Muscle moves like a a small band of rubber bands, has some flexibility. Tendons move like a larger band of rubber bands with some but very little movement. Ligaments are like trying to stretch 1,000 rubber bands, they have "no give at all." Scar tissue is like a band of tendons and ligaments bound together, where there should be no resistance at all.

So if you are supposed to be able to bend it to 120 and you're only getting 80, and it feels like something is stopping it and has very little to no give at all to it, that's likely scar tissue.

• Posted

Thanks for a great explanation. That's the first time a picture has been painted that I can truly understand the mechanics. 

I push my knee every day as much as I can, in the hope that the rubber bands will stretch a little bit more.

I am always worried that if I miss a day it will grow back!

Thank you for taking the time im sure we all appreciate it.

• Posted

You are welcome Tricia. And it is like you said it is easy to move backwards even though you have gotten to a certain range and that why moving it is important.

And, like everyone who has had success, try not to be discouraged. It takes effort. It's not easy. But the long term goal, of efficient walking, and long term pain management is paramount.

I always tell my patients to, even when they are not with me, or are at home, put yourself thru the same exercises that I put you thru. As much as possible.

Stay encouraged. Even 5 more degrees can make a big difference for you in the long run. wink

• Posted

Hi tsw678- thank you for taking the time and explaning about adhesions in lamen terms. That is one of my biggest concerns since I am 9 months post TKR. I posted how I feel and how I went back to 95 after having 120. Again, thank you. J-21370

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.