The Bad, the good and the bad again.... does it ever end?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks , 

You all have been around long enough to know my saga! The bad.... falling Dec of 16. The good.... great doc finally gave me an MRI and found I wasn't cracking up! YEA.  The bad.... surgery on the left foot... surgery on the right foot and because first surgery didn't work.... fusion on the left MTP *first big joint* fusion as of April 9th.... 2018. 

Scars look great! But the right ankle just still hurts after six months and the fusion is just a heap of pain. I feel I can't go or do anything. My husband took me for a date day on Mother's day and Im telling you I am suffering due to the walking! I had my cane and my special shoe on my fusion foot/ left. Even with sitting for a good amount of time I was hurting and now, today... its been horrid. 

Both feet up/ iced and rest.. barely any walking today. to the bathroom and that is it! 

Thank God I have some OXY and 600 mg of Tylenol left.! Hasn't relieved my pain much just made me drowsy. 

So after a long story: Can anyone tell me it ends? The pain? I can't seem to get to a new normal. Does it ever come? My husband feels bad but I am still not working! I feel like every day there is a different pain or ache. And i don't want to tell him anymore! 

And as much as I love my doctor , they too, look at you like your nuts to say your in severe pain being on your feet for more than 45 mins!!  I wish they "got" it.  Easy to say six weeks is the healing, well maybe for the scars but not for other things. 

Sorry, I had to rant.. I'm not a baby to pain.. I just want a norma life and I'm not sure if its coming at any time soon. sad 

Rose

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rose,

I’m so sorry that you’re in pain it really sux! I’m pretty sure you’ve contemplated getting another opinion on the seemedly botched operation..

My opinion only, go and get a few other opinions from good Orthopedists...

Get an MRI and see how it was botched..

Maybe just maybe something will come up on the MRI that will show something unusual.... I personally don’t trust doctors, they only know so much, especially a young Doctor. Older doctors are experienced....

This has nothing to do with your issue but involves Doctors.

I don’t have kids, My wife and I have cats and dogs and they are our children.

We took our young female cat 4 years of age  to our trusted vet for a teeth cleaning, simple procedure and non invasive. When my wife brought her home the poor little girl was limping terribly in her back leg... Incompetence,

lack of care maybe, but he is our trusted vet!!!!  Denied anything happened!!! We won’t be going back to him, we found out that they forced her to take the needle for the anesthesia and broke her leg.. Lawsuit in the works.

She was perfectly fine previous to visit..

Point being that most Doctors are in the business of making money!!! My opinion only..

Go get some other opinions and fix that pain!

Get better soon!!!!!

• Posted

HI marc,

So sorry about  your poor cat! That is horrible! And more horrible that the said trusted vet denied the injury! I hear a law suit for your fur baby! 

Good luck!! 

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rose,

I’m hoping you will go for other opinions and fix your pain issue...

And thanks for your concern for our fur baby as you called her smile  , get better soon!!!!!!

• Posted

Sorry for your pain. My doctor wants to fuse my ankle on left foot. Says it won’t hurt anymore, forever. I’m hoping he is right. I would be in a non weight bearing cast for two months. I have a business that teqires me being there, that will be aweful. I do waxing and microdermablading, that’s out . I just hope it doesn’t hurt after the surgery. I’m going to be 67 in August.i hope they can fix your ankle. I’ve been in pain for about 10 years, has only gotten worse. I’m wearing a boot now. My foot brace doesn’t work. 
    • Posted

Good luck Jan! That sounds so painful, too.  I do have faith in my doctor. He has been wonderful. I just wish I knew then what I know now and that is this... it takes forever to heal and not feel pain! Big or small its all pain. 

I wish you lots of luck. 

Keep us posted when it happens.

Rose

• Posted

Oh Rose I'm praying for your full recovery. This is week 15 or 16 for me since the accident in January. While I'm making slight progress with walking I'm nowhere near walking yet. Still using a walker but trying to wean myself off. Can take some steps with a cane but it's only been a few weeks. My doctor I had to trust fully because this has never happened to me before. His part of this journey is completed. I'm now in the hands of an excellent PT. I wonder was my doc being optimistic when he believed I would be walking in two weeks in my shoes and/or just my boot. Because of this I haven't been back to work yet!!!! So frustrated cause now I have paperwork issues and processes dictating my return to work. My PT did say my doc was rather ambitious soooooooo...... Blessings always!!!!

• Posted

Oh yes Beatrice! The docs are very optimistic. And very clever in their wording. They hand you a paper and sadly its true, I should ask more questions. I thought I did, but in hindsight, I didn't. 

I hope you can get back to work soon as myself .  I know one thing, you can not push to much. I keep trying and it keep back firing! But six weeks is a joke when they tell you thats when you'll be "healed." ..... I'd like to see ONE person who is healed that quickly and not on paper!

Best of luck to you! 

Rose

• Posted

Rose,

I feel for you and your misfortunes after fusion. I escaped without surgery in my ankle incident, thank my lucky stars.

Sometimes these ankle fusion and replacement surgeries are good bets, but I think sometimes they are dicey  and oversold by surgeons.

We all (well almost all) want to believe in and trust these surgeons unreservedly, expecting them to be almost superhuman in their abilities and know-how. We wish that trust is always well-placed, but life gets messy.

My humble advice: when a surgeon recommends such a surgery you should listen carefully and asks questions, lots of questions (and don't be intimidated if the doc tries to rush you into a decision).

If that surgery proposal doesn't sound overly convincing then get a second, and then third opinion. Plus get out there online and do your diligent research online. Don't lay back passively and expect the best surgical outcome will blessedly occur for you no matter what.

• Posted

Hey KP, 

I honestly believe I did ask enough questions of my doc. Maybe as I typed previously I didn't. I think I was forth coming and so was he. But again, he (my doc) never had an injury of the ankle /foot so how would they know the pain we are feeling I did research and do not think I sat back passively that is for sure. 

I do think we all here and on this forum just want the best for ourselves to be better and to move on with our lives. Some are lucky and able to do just that. And some , don't. You are very fortunate that  you did not have surgery and see to have a clean recovery. That is your blessing. 

Thanks!

• Posted

Rose,

I wasn't suggesting that you rushed in to surgery without thinking it over carefully. But, my guess is that some patients spend more time planning their next vacation than deliberating over an ankle surgery. That is not a judgement-- just a statement on the human condition.

My recovery wasn't a picnic. Although my fracture healed beautifully I had to deal with a damaged tendon for a number of months (although it did not cause me great difficulty in walking gait or caused me to be gimpy).

You said it right about doctors-- unless they themselves have suffered a bad ankle injury they have no personal knowledge about the pain and suffering patients like you have to go through. They are medical technicians first and foremost (although I bet there are still a few of the old breed of physician around with tender bedside manner and lots of empathy).

• Posted

Thank you Kp.  You are absolutely right, we as humans do take more care of where we go on vacation than our own bodies. I wonder why that is. Something to ponder. 

I know for me I am taking things much more seriously now that all this has happened. I have lost a great deal of my life due to one fall in 2016.   One fall. 

I do hope my doctor listens to me and at least says "lets X-Ray today" that would be wonderful. He is an awesome surgeon, young guy. But knows his skill well. But boy next week I have a list of questions for him! LOL 

R

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.