The best diet for RA when on all strong meds and steroids

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone know a good diet to help with symptoms ? I'm so scared I put weight on while on steroids !! I've joined back at slimming world as I'm struggling to get to the gym with my knee being so swollen and sore !!! If anyone knows any good exercises too !! I've decided I'm going back this week and will focus on upper body and weights !! I need my sanity back !!! Any one feel the same !!

Thanks Katie

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi KatieLou, I'm in the same boat. I have been putting on the weight because of the steroids & joints hurt too much for walking or treadmill. I've avoided going out with the family because I didn't want to hold them back. Im bored out of my mind. I'm ready to take my life back. I've read good things about the Paleo way of eating and the Meteranean Diet. I will research more today then off to the grocery store. I will also research yoga & light weights. Time for me to move on. Good luck to you & thanks for the inspiration. Let me know how you are doing.

• Posted

Hi Katie,  I am so sorry you are struggling, hoping you get better.  My doctors advised me to join the YMCA and do water arobics and yoga which are easier on the joints.  Be sure you get your eyes checked frequently as the steroids can raise eye pressure which can cause blindness.  Mine was so high I had to quit taking the steroids and now I have glaucoma.  I will always wonder if I would have gotten it if I had not taken the steroids.  Your diet should be healthy, low fat, low carb-something you can stick with for life, not just a fad diet.  Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Hi Katie Lou, You might try a gluten free diet. When I was diagnosed I went on gluten free, no red meat, I eat chicken, turkey and fish, no diary and no processed foods. You will lose a lot of weight from being gluten free. I lost 20 lbs. For excercise we go to the pool. That allows you to excercise without a lot of pain and is very beneficial.  You will probably get a lot of tips here from what I have read in the past. 
  • Posted

I was told that sugars, red meats, alcohol, are the things to avoid eating. Also if you can get into a water aerobics..
  • Posted

There is a thing called a low inflamatory diet which eliminates all inflamatory foods such as meat, nightshades, processed foods, sugar, dairy and so on.   You can find a comprehensive list if you google IF ratings.   I tried a diet based on the IF ratings; unfortunately, it didn't workfor me, that's not to say it won't work for you..   There is absolutely no scientific proof that diets like this work; but, the mind is a powerful tool and always something you can rely on.   Best medical evidence says a balanced diet which includes all food groups is the best medicine regardless of what ails you, notwithstanding celiacs and so on.   The diet that most resembles that is the mediterranean diet.   Of course that's now, who knows what science will say next week.

• Posted

Thanks for everyone replays I'm going to start aqua aerobics this week I'm getting my head back in to gear !!! I'm going shopping tomorro and I'm going to try gluten free sounds amazing ! My friend has said before this helps with her not being bloated !!! I'm on it guys and not going to let it stop me !!! Here goes tomorro a fresh start and positive thinking !!!! Thanks everyone I'll keep you posted xxx

• Posted

Go vegitarian.  Seriously, this is how I calmed flares.  There is definately a dietary component to RA.  In time you will find specifuic foods that trigger flares.  The biggest of all triggers is sugar, honey even the sugar alcohols.  At some point too much fruir will do the same to flare up your RA.  You can sort this out, but you might want help from a dietician who knows what RA is

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.