The best NOAC: Dabigatran or Apixaban?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After years researching, the best treatment for atrial fibrillation seems to be Dabigatran or Apixaban.  In particular, the 16 June 2016 study titled Comparative effectiveness and safety of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants and warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation... ( http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i3189).  

There is some doubt regarding the integrity of the initial Apixaban study in China.  Moreover, a reversal agent has yet to be approved for Apixaban, which may a worry if you find yourself in intensive care.

Have others come to a different conclusion, or taken both these drugs and can compare?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi joydeck

i have just been put the dabigratan and I seem to have had no side effects. Been on them since June.

• Posted

I have been on apixaban since February and no side effects. 5 mg twice a day. Have never tried anything else.
  • Posted

I have been on Pradaxa (dabigatran) since 10/15. I chose it because it the only one of the newer drugs that has a reversal factor.  So far, so good. 
  • Posted

Best treatment for embolism prophylaxis maybe but, best treatment for AF?

Sorry for pedantism! Its just that my hope increased temporarily.....

• Posted

For decades, through diet and exercise, I done much towards embolism prophylaxis but, sadly, the risk of stroke is still elevated compared to those without AF.  
  • Posted

It doesn't help AF it just thins your blood to prevent possible strokes.

• Posted

I have taken Xarelto and now Eliquis. I suffered side effects from Xarelto, and also Eliquis. I am fatigued, my thought processes are slower, I get dizzy and have gained. You can't stop taking them as there cane a rebound effect causing a stroke.

I would not have started them has I been informed prior.

Research is done by the drug companies who make billions of dollars a year from these drugs. 

There have been court cases and large payouts in the USA.

I,m concerned about the damage these drugs may do...and also quite cynical about the way I've been fobbed off when I raise t his with my Drs.

• Posted

Were your side effects on Eliquis and Xarelto the same, and how soon after beginning each drug did side effects appear?  

It seems AF sufferers with multiple risk factors must take one drug or other to reduce the likelihood of stroke. 

• Posted

Pradaxa is the only one of the newer anticoagulants that has a reversal factor.  Ive been on it for 9 months and haven't had any major negative side affects except for a little indigestion after I take the pill.  IF I take it on a full stomach, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.