The big toe started to drift 9 weeks after surgery.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

The big toe started to drift 9 weeks after surgery. Is there any particular spacer/separator type you could suggest?  Thank you in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark......I think any toe spacers that you purchase will pretty much be the same. I bought mine from a well known chemist branch in the UK.

Some say they don't work that well..... mine didn't in all honesty.

Don't know if you are on Facebook but there's a very good group called " I survived a bunionectomy" lots of good/helpful advice..its a closed group so you'll have to request to join. 

• Posted

What exact procedure did you have? How long were you told to remain non weight bearing? Did you have it pinned? My first surgery was just to remove the bunion. But my toe wasn’t realigned, that’s what my second surgery was for. Have you contacted your doctor to address this issue? I just don’t think a “spacer” is going to do anything for the long term. I am curious as to what others may say on the matter?
    • Posted

Hallux valgus repair and second metatarsal osteotomy. I was in the surgical boot then shoe for 8 weeks.  There are 2 screws.in the second metatarsal. Doctor says he expected some drift. I am thinking that the reason could be that I was very active during recovery and overloaded my foot...
  • Posted

Hi Mark,

My consultant showed me how to bandage the foot/toe to keep the big toe aligned. This involved wrapping the crepe bandage round the big toe to hold it in place whilst the bones settled. Once the bandage is secure round the foot, bring it in from the big toe direction and wrap it between the big and second toe, then by tightening your grip on the bandage you will feel the toe moving to the upright position. Continue till all the bandage has been used then secure with plaster. It feels like the toe is in the right position. smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.