The Burp

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me with this because it's really starting to get me down now! sad

I have had a history of stomach problems and was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago. However, recently, I have started having what I call 'The Burp'. Me and my partner have recently been eating more healthy, lots of chicken, fruit and vegetables, however, when I have a day off and have a takeaway or a pub meal, generally much more fatty food, I find I am suffering. I usually wake up around 4-6am the next day and it starts with the eggy tasting burps. As soon as I get this I know there's trouble. I then get severe stomach cramps, a gurgling stomach, an upset stomach and sometimes gas for around 6 hours. I literally spend the entire time in the bathroom rolling around in pain, doing eggy burps and having to go to the toilet multiple times until it eventually passes. Then I'm fine. I'm finding I'm having this more and more often now. I've seen lots of similar stuff online but nobody seems to have found a definite answer. Can anyone help me PLEASE?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever had a blood test for Celiac Disease? These are some of the classic symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi, thanks for your quick reply! I'm pretty sure I have - Back when I was diagnosed with IBS I went to the Doctors a few times and I'm pretty sure this was one of the blood tests they carried out.
    • Posted

Just curious, did you load up on gluten a week prior to the blood test? I know so many who got a neg result the first time ... Not sure why but this particular test is somewhat iffy. They didn't catch it on me until an endoscopy with duodenum biopsies was given.
    • Posted

Oh really? I can't say I remember what I ate prior to the blood test as it was so long ago now. I'm definitely going to go back to the Doctors this week because I've had enough of it now. Something's definitely not right. I also recall having a sigmoidoscopy around the time they were investigating my IBS... That wouldn't have picked up Celiac Disease though would it?
  • Posted

If they didn't take biopsies of the duodenum then, no, it wouldn't. 
  • Posted

Stop the take aways and pub meals.
    • Posted

Well yes, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly why my body reacts the way it does, it isn't normal.
    • Posted

Gluten intolerance or sensitivity

Keep a food log.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been to the Drs and she reckons I have too much acid in my stomach and has given me some pills for it. They're working wonders. So far so good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.