The Cause(s) of AFib (Atrial Fibrillation)

Posted , 7 users are following.

The animal heart was designed to function normally most of the time. It was not designed to prefer the fibrillated state. There will be various reasons for afib. I actually want to know what those reasons are.  I actually  want to know how they can be searched out and diagnosed.

My life experience is that when you receive treatment without really excellent diagnosis first, that treatment has little chance of success.

Of course, there are causes of afib. 

I don't just mean risk factors.  Specific individual causes; per person.

Unless you and I find these, and publicize them, we can be sure it will many decades before researchers bother to solve the problem of causation.

Let me kick off. I believe, without proof of any kind, that much long-term afib is caused by long-term (even low-grade) caffeine intake.  How I can seriously and carefully test this hypothesis.

Thanks,

Reg H

Vancouver BC

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You could stand in Gas Street and do a survey:-)

Mine was caused by having my aortic valve replaced. The heart does not like being handle. A second Cardioversion put me back in sinus rhythm and I thought that was it.

Fifteen months later I had a colonoscopy and the probe stimulated my vagus nerve and put me back into AF. I had another cardioversion im March and am back in sinus rhythm. Now I am left wondering  what could next cause it.

• Posted

I am 78 years old and since joining this forum I have noticed the many varying causes members have described relating to AF. My own personal experience and view is related to stomach acids. I have no positive links or firm evidence that this  could be a contributing factor across the board, although other members have voiced the same opinion. My first AF experience was in September last year and fortunately I have not had a serious repeat that was long-lasting. My medication comprises 5mg Bisoporal, varying doses of Warfarin and 40 mg Simvastatin. I have always had stomach acid problems but these have eased since I gave up drinking alchohol three months ago although I have a little wine with my meals. I have recently started taking charcoal capsules after meals also drinking plenty milk and water. I have not had a recurring AF episode since early January although I do get the odd palpitation every now and again. Although I am on a waiting list for an Ablation my condition seems to have stabilised and my stomach acids are no longer a problem. Could I be right? Derek (Joiner)
  • Posted

Why yes Joiner, you could well be right.  I have some experience that overlaps with this concept of stomach acids as an originating cause. I am now 68 with contant, but not very serious afib. It began around age 50, when I was in good health, day-hiking on weekends, but I had a nasty cough which was due to GERD, stonmach acid reflux, repeatedly diagnosed as this and in a sense confirmed because antacid medications such as omeprazole indeed stopped the cough. But the afib always remained and slowly became non-stop and worsened to its present state, which is very mild. I think you are on to something, this is pbly an investigation worth pursuing.
    • Posted

I hate to pour cold water on your theory. I have had a hiatal hernia since at least 1982. Initially I had severe heartburn and reflux and taking Maalox and other liquids as well as antacids did not help long term. Some homeopathic  remedies  (carbo veg and nat sulph) helped the indigestion part.

It was not until 2000 that I first had a PPI prescribed. They did not help in the long term and it was not until I was prescribed omeprazole that

one actually stopped the acid reflux.

I did not have AF until I had my aortic valve replaced and as previously said cardioversion stopped it until I had another medical procedure that put me back into AF again.

Proper coffee wlll bring on my acidty but Nescafe in the main does not. My GP has a theory that beans not roasted correctly will cause acidity and that coffee worsens his ectopic beats so he tries to avoid places like Costa. He also says contrary to popular belief that milk makes the stomach produce acid.   

• Posted

My pottasium was low, so the Dr prescribed K pills. My BP meter indicated that about half the time I did NOT have a-fib. There was a very clear cause and effect relationship..

George

• Posted

Hiya Reg,

I'm new on here, just joined this forum, hence I'm only just commenting on your post. Firstly, I have led a healthy life with very few ailments and have only been operated on once in nearly 70 years - and that was for a torn right knee cartilidge which was removed.

The cause of my paroxysmal AF and later triggers are (were) two different things. Firstly cause - can't scientifically/medically prove it but I am sure it was electrosensitivity. I carried my cell phone in my shirt pocket, roughly over my heart for about two and half years until I heard on the radio about the dangers of this. In this time I developed massive, just massive palpitations then came AF.

Do suggest you 'Google' electrosensitivity - makes interesting reading.

Secondly, triggers - after six months I began to relate the onset of an AF event to digestive issues - and ( to cut a long story short) consulted a nutrionist who advised me of the wisdom of going Gluten Free and also following a diet known as FODMAPS (again) suggest you 'Google' these.

Although I get the occasional palpitation and a very rare but unsettling AF event I am now generally AF free.

Then there is another factor - genetics ! One side of my family seems to have a predisposition to strokes and some even have AF, including my 32 year old daughter.

So there we go Reg ..... thats my contribuition to the exercise - I would like to take this further with you if you are interested - and with anyone else too.

Carneuny

Cornwall, UK

• Posted

I took these to my naturopathic physician (_____) because i didn't view electrosensitivity seriously and had never heard of FODMAPS, but apparently they may well have validity. Thus, I will sincerely try them. The motivation for me, is that I feel so crummy that I'll try almost anything to see if it helps.

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable (superfluous) for inclusion within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and see a cardiologist next week . 

I have been a coca - cola drinker for years - a bit of an addict really - so perhaps you are correct . I ceased drinking it and any sugar beverages a month ago . 

There are so many factors that seem to cause or exacerbate AFIB - it's hard to take it all in and is scary to say the least .i just want my normal beat back again !!

• Posted

On another note I take Omeprazole for sinus condition .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.