The Coil to help reduce heavy periods?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies, Just would like to know if any of you has had the coil fitted in perimenopause because of heavy period? Was it a good success? Was it painful to have it fitted?

I am 49 with heavy periods and at my Gynae appointment today, the Doctor suggested having coil fitted. Any advise?

Thanks x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi hunni yep i had a mirena coil fitted and it certainly helped me. In some women periods stop altogether but I just had tiny periods once fitted which was such a relief after such heavy ones.

I didnt find it painful personally but we all have different pain barriers. it was a shade uncomfortable I would say but only for a few seconds so its more than worth it to get the relief of lighter periods.

good luck today, try to relax and youll be fine.

take care xxx

• Posted

Thank you Louise25018, that's reassuring to hear your feedback. Not due to have it fitted for another 3 weeks, but just wanted to hear of any experiences. Definitely worth considering x

• Posted

Hiya 😃 I had x2 Mirena coils fitted over a 10 year period (excuse the pun!!!) I found them absolutly fine 😃 Periods became very light and then stopped completely 😃

Little bit uncomfortable when fitting them but didn't stop me from working a night shift 😃 I was 47 when I had the last one removed and didn't get a period at all after that!! Bang straight into full blown menapause 😦 Hope this helps?

• Posted

Hi Linda, thanks for replying. Yes, I heard someone else saying that when their coil was removed, they never had another period 😃 I will definitely consider it if it will lighten my periods. Was it painful to have fitted? My womb has a bit of a tilt!

• Posted

Hi AnnieL4 sorry for delay in reply - have been away for few days..............

Ok so yes it was uncomfortable but not really painful when it was fitted and I also have a tilted uterus - try to relax as much as you can - think lovely thoughts etc its over and done quite quickly 😃 I personally think its the best thing since sliced bread 😃 Good luck!

• Posted

Lol.... ok, You have me convinced 😃 It's worth trying I think, anything better than really heavy periods! Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.