The connection between frozen shoulder and perimenopause and menopause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All - so - classic frozen shoulder symptoms and diagnosis. I had a procedure called 'shoulder manipulation' done by an orthopedist under anesthesia (pardon the American spellings!) four days ago - not the saline injection or actual surgery. I have some range of motion back, but it will still take some intensive PT to get this sorted out. Since I am a sculler, I don't want this to take over a year with just PT, so the shoulder manipulation kind of fast tracked the healing... I hope! While I was initially being diagnosed, and with all the initial online research I did about this, NONE of the doctors, PTs, or online sources made mention of menopause or perimenopause being one of the big factors (for women, obviously). There would occasionally be a mention of 'hormonal imbalances' being a 'possible' cause, but otherwise, I didn't fit the profile at all of recently being injured, having surgery, having an auto-immune disease, or some other underlying health condition, etc. - so - it was a mystery... until I looked up 'frozen shoulder menopause' and found out how common it is among menopausal women. Estrogen is key to bone and joint health, and when we go through menopause, our estrogen levels plunge - hence the joint pain and other issues - and the connection to a condition like frozen shoulder. Doctors receive so little training about menopause in med school, and as I'm entering menopause, I'm finding out how little docs really know about it - which is discouraging. BUT - for those of us women who are suffering with frozen shoulder and have no idea why this happened, this could possibly be it. It's still worrying that this could happen again, and I'm still hoping that I can get my range of motion back and get back on the water again, but at least the 'why did this happen?' has an answer. Just look up 'frozen shoulder menopause' and you'll see videos and testimonials, and some of the research that has been done. Not much, since menopause is pretty much still ignored and we're just told to 'deal with it', but at least there is some...

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

frozen shoulder has been linked to fibro nodules - scar tissue ...build up in the shoulder capsule.

see link to Dupuytren's Contracture . i have this very painful annoying issue for many years.

also DC in hands and feet. Hands have fibro nodules on the finger cords that cause the fingers to curl in a fist and cannot open. this is the same issue what happens in my frozen shoulders.

ask your doctor for more info regarding your case and about xiaflex .

• Posted

have you started on HRT yet to help replace the missing hormones?

my consultant said you can't get FS in the same shoulder twice but once it's happened in 1 shoulder you have a higher chance that it can happen in your other shoulder.....I honestly don't think I could cope going through it all over again on the other shoulder

• Edited

Hi,

Your post really stood out to me, because recently my right shoulder has been giving me hassle. I don't think it's frozen shoulder but it's so achey and it feels like it spreads into the collar bone, breast and shoulder blade. I'd also recently been thinking I could be in Peri. A colleague suggested it when I listed some symptoms I'm experiencing, which are:

random insomnia

night sweats

anxiety

low mood

emotional/weepy

short tempered/snappy/quick to anger/irritable

wanting to be alone

urinating a lot

getting the runs/constipation

low sex drive (none existent really)

itchy skin mainly on an evening

breast pain/soreness/weird sensations

tingly hands when in bed

ringing ears

hair thinning

dizziness

feeling like I'm losing control - this comes from nowhere and I feel like I'm going to die

headaches - they have now eased

lack of focus

forgetting what I'm doing

bleeding gums

dry down there

Oh such joy lol. so I was thinking maybe the shoulder thing could be related too.

• Edited

yup all of those are symptoms of perimenopause / menopause. Would you consider going on HRT?. i am on body identical HRT sInce June last year and have noticed an improvement in pretty much all my menopause symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.