The day after a really bad day...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thank you guys for the other days replies. I really need a secondary support system from ppl who know what I am going through..

This cast is driving me crazy! It's feeling so loose but Dr says it's fine as long as it's snugish around my ankle, it's fine if my heel doesn't touch the bottom of the cast and it's fine I have space on my calf. I'm the kind of person that likes snug stuff so it's infuriating. And I'm only comfortable in bed, I go downstairs and there's no way I sit that doesn't my my ankle feel hurt or stretchy or weird. Anyone else have those feelings in ur cast? I'm just so paranoid it's not gonna heal right. But it's only three weeks since surgery, I guess I'm not super woman lol.

Yesterday was so bad. It hurt, it was hot, I felt gross. I just sat and cried after dragging myself up my stairs. Couldn't get comfortable. Any suggestions on how to comfortably prop up your leg on a couch?

On a positive note, I got my shower chair and cast cover in the mail today.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had all the worries and frustration you are having also awful pain if the ankle was not elevated. I was convinced something was wrong but I saw the X rays to prove the bones were knitting. When I had the cast on I didn't move a great deal. I always had my foot on a pillow and just hobbled to and from the bathroom. I wasn't going to take risks I never want another fusion. It paid off, although my foot is still swollen and gets painful I don't need physio. It's just time now. The biggest problem is footwear but let's not go there! You are experiencing pretty much everything I worried about and apparently it's all quite normal. Keep posting and try to keep your goal in sight if you have one. I bought some gorgeous boots pre op thinking all would be back to normal in a month or so, my goal is to wear the boots on holiday in May.

• Posted

Thanks Lynne,

Yeah right now I'm just wondering if I should have a new cast put on or if it even matters it's loose because I'm not moving it at all and being really careful. I'm just uncomfortable all the time unless I'm in bed and though the stitches are out, my incision is still pretty uncomfortable. Thanks for the support I hope you continue to post to mesmile and hope you can wear your awesome boots!

• Posted

Depends on the kind of couch you have, but for the first 3 weeks I slept and spent my recovery time on the couch. It has 2 large, loose back cushions, and I used one of them to prop up my leg. It worked great! I'm now back to sleeping in my bed (yay) still in hard cast. Hope to be in a boot in a couple weeks. Hang in there!

• Posted

I am finding sleep and sitting in between my bed and my couch too. I do not like being i n my room during the day, but sometimes it feels better to sit on bed.

You are going to feel so much better after having a shower.

• Posted

Thanks. I've done a couple baths. I just get tired alot and nauseated if I do much. I hope the cast cover and chair work well. I read these silicone seal covers create a really good seal. Right now it's mostly the cast that's driving me nuts. Part of it is because I can't just go to the Dr whenever I want. My wife has no pto until two weeks so unless my cast falls off she can't take me because we need the money and I have noone else to do it. So all around frustrating. And she keeps asking me how it feels but I can't describe it. Just weird.

• Posted

I slept on the couch and used the back of the couch to help prop my foot against. I used about 5 pillows in an attempt to get comfy....you will not find a comfortable position, having that dang cast or boot on is the pits, so just try to find a tolerable position. You will heal. And you will be back on your feet before you know it!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.