The depo Provera injection...what should I try next?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Today I booked myself in for my 4th or 5th depo Provera injection, however I’ve just read a Facebook post about a girl who has been on it for 2 years. She suffers with bad stretch marks, has been diagnosed with depression as sometimes she is so drained that she cannot be bothered to get out of bed, bad mood swings, she has put on over 2 stone etc. After reading this I realised that I can relate to every single part of that, not to the extent that she has been suffering with these side effects but I think that may be because I have been on this for a shorter amount of time. She says this has ruined her life so now I worry that this may only get worse for me. I want to try something else but I don’t know if these hormones in a different form will effect me in the same way eg the pill. Need some advice on what to try but I’d prefer a method such as the pill as it is something I’d be comfortable with.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey not sure about injection but suffered the same with implant it almost ruined my life I lost job from depression, could not cope mentally and had suffered 2 years post break up. I know it was implant as I’m extremely strong person and never bother with anything longer then couple of weeks and get over things quickly and bounce back to normal etc. Cope with stress and jobs well. They were so reluctant to take it out banging on about money. But I tell you the truth as soon as it was out my life went back to normal. Oh yes and I had weight issues as well. Now on copper coil suffering from pain and I’m opioids during period but comparing to all other contraceptives I find this option best. 3-4 days suffering a month but no other issues and can settle pain with pain killers. All the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.