The Dive

Posted , 4 users are following.

Alright folks, I'm new to the diverticulitis game. So I want to know, when you had your first attack: a) did you have sore glands and b) did it more than one round of antibiotics to feel normal again. I started feeling better after the first 10 round and about 10 days later I was right back where I started. Now I'm at the beginning of another 10 round of antibiotics. Does get better? And what the hell can I eat at this stage?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi and sorry you are part of our group. Hopefully this will be your only attack.

Yes, I have sore groin glands when I have a flare and this past attack I did two rounds of antibiotics.

As for what you can eat google low residue diet and use the Mayo Clinic guide as it is most comprehensive.

Chew your food really well and stick to small meals. Rest lots and don't increase your fiber too fast when you start to go back to a more normal diet in several weeks. You want to make sure you have rested your colon for a long time so you don't re-inflame it when you start adding fiber back in.

Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon and that we never hear from you again because that will mean you only had the one attack.

Julie

PS drink lots of water.

• Posted

Hi

Yes to both. Sore glands is a sign of the nfection, and my last attack took 3 rounds of antibiotics over a 3 month period and it was almost 18 months before I was pain free. BUT - that is extreme. Normally one or two rounds of medication and a 4 - 6 week recovery period for my previous attacks. A liquid diet for the first 48 hours (broth, teas, black coffee) to rest your insides, then bland white low residue food (mash, steamed fish, grilled chicken, scrambled egg, crustless white bread, boiled rice). Small portions, chew well, take with plenty of water. Then slowly reintroduce soluble fibre (rather than insoluble - see Google). Keep a food diary and note if any particular foods upset you. Everyone is different so what one person can eat, others can't. I can't have gluten or full fat, but others can't eat skins, pips, red meat, dairy etc. This disease takes time and patience and you will have to be careful for the rest of your life.

• Posted

I should have mentioned I take Fybogel daily to keep things moving, and pure Aloe Vera which is a natural anti inflammatory. Within 5 days of starting it, after 4 months of pain, I could feel a difference.

• Posted

I had my first flare-up over a year ago that required antibiotics. I've had one more since that required antibiotics, but have learned to detect symptoms early enough so that I can take measures to avert a full blown flare-up and settle my colon down without antibiotics. I've never developed swollen glands. My flare-ups always begins with cramping and are almost always associated with times when I've eaten too much over a short period of time and/or when I'm under stress. When the cramping begins, I immediately put myself on a liquid diet for 24-48 hours. I find that cream soups and light yogurt seem to be OK as well. Then, I slowly reintroduce solid food, starting with soft/bland and progressing. I've also found that stress reduction (mindfulness, meditation) has been very helpful. As others have pointed out, eat small portions, drink plenty of water and do whatever is necessary to keep things "moving." I take Miralax every day to keep my stools soft. I also exercise regularly. I haven't had to go on antibiotics since last July and hope to keep it that way! Antibiotics have their own problems and implications. Best wishes with this annoying condition!

• Posted

First I would like to say thank you to everyone that responded. You all truly passed on some very good information that I needed seeing as how I'm new to this thing. I've pretty much eaten pop sickles and drank water for the last two days and I can feel things settling down. The swelling and the aching of my glands has stopped which is a sign that the infection is dying. I'm planning or stand with a bland, soft, small portioned eating habit next week after I see my GP on Mon. I guess it's all about being disciplined from this point. I'd much rather be disciplined than have to deal with that pain again. Thank you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.