The dr prescribed me tramadol

Posted , 3 users are following.

from what I have read this is an opioid, he gave me 20 100 mg tablets,  I have never taken a pain killer,  I took one of these and still have the chest pain, lol even still had period cramps just feel a bit buzzed.  Like having a drink,  should I just take these bake to the pharmacy.  I really don't want to become an addict to an opioid.  I'm not a drinker but I think having a drink would have done more than these pills.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes they are a opioid and no I think if they didn't help the pain take them back to the pharmacy as look at what happened to me being a opioid addict is horrendous.

• Posted

Hi pam 

i can understand your concerns .. with so many people becoming addicted to painkillers and other medications its normal to think this way 

however when used correctly and over short periods of time ( less than a month ) painkillers such as tramadol are relatively safe ...but the trick when taking any meds is to take them when you really need them and not just follow the instructions on the box ( such as take 2 four times a day ) 

if you simply take them as needed the blood level of the drug wont get that high and your chances of becoming addicted are allmost zero ..

in regards to tramadol itself it is classed as a opioid but works in a slightly different way ... it inhibits serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake AND activates opiate receptors in the central nervous system to enhancing the inhibitory effects on pain transmission in the spinal cord.. were as opiods such as morphine and codeine simply bind to the opioid receptors 

in my experience chest pain can be caused by many things .. for example 

1) heart attack ... however im sure you would know this so we can safely rule out this 

2) thorasic herniated discs ... this is a slipped(herniated disc ) approx mid back ( around T5/T6/T7 ) ... and the symptoms from this mimic many other conditions including chest pain ( that travels to the sternum ) ,stomach problems and even gallbladder issues ... a MRI can rule this out 

3) Costochondritis ( rib inflammation ) .. this can cause pain or discomfort that radiates around your ribs .. symptoms include rib pain/pressure but can also mimic chest pain 

then again many other conditions can cause chest pain such as a persistent chesty cough .... this is down to your doctor to diagnose ... im no medical expert and i can see this may need further investigation .. simply throwing painkillers at you isnt a cure and depending on the condition( if any ) may over time make things worse 

i would advise you either 

1) go back to your doctor and lay it on the line ... ask why he gave you the tramadol and for what purpose 

2) or visit a out of hours/walk-in center at your local hospital ... doctors as these centers will take any chest pain seriously and can carry out significantly more tests than any gp/doctor can 

i hope this helps and good luck pam 

• Posted

Thanks to both of you you gave me a lot to think about.  I took the pills to the pharmacy,  if they can't even get rid of period cramps why bother taking them.  Plus they did make me feel slightly nausious.  I read the major side effect of the drug was respiratory suppression that can lead to death. I think I rather live in pain.

i not sure why my other post was deleted, but a few people I talked to are just as confused,  I am sure some great posts that could lead to some pretty helpful discussions have been pulled.  

Good  luck on your rehabilitation, I am sure you will do well.  Take care, and thanks again for the suggestions.

• Posted

Thankyou Pam good luck to you dr just readily hand out pills without telling us the side effects and then don't want to know about the complications just prescribe more potent pills and your left in a terrible state I wish you all the best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.