the effects of setraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been on 150 of sertraline i feel that i am fighting a loosing battle with weight gain,any advice

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Don't feel too bad. On Zyprexa you can gain 90lbs alone on a diet of celery and carrots and 1 hour a day of aerobics!
  • Posted

if anything u should want to eat less on sertraline. I was on mirtazapine 4 6/7 years and gained 6 stone. came off them and onto sertraline and have lost 2 stone in 2 months. do u take them in the morning as that's what I been  told is best and I now have to remember to eat. 
  • Posted

Hiya, me and my sister have both gained a stone each :-( 

I've been on 50mg since dec last year and my sister has been on 100mg for about a year. I take mine AM and my sister before bed. 

Hoping to lose the weight once I'm off them x

• Posted

Hi Betty  I have been on sertraline for 3 months now and have had the reverse  it totally stopped my appetite and I have lost 9lbs since starting them . I suppose its because we all react differently to these meds    The main thing to think about is are they making you feel better.  I think that if they help sort you out  then you will be able to deal with your weight gain   Dont be too hard on yourself  deal with one thing at a time   good luck and stay well
  • Posted

Hi Betty, I don't recall Zoloft causing me to gain weight, & I was on it for many years. Maybe others can share their experiences regarding weight gain from the med? 

I did, however, gain weight periodically throughout the years from eating junk food (I love ice cream, candy, chips...) to fill up the emptiness within me from the depression. And because I didn't care about myself too much, I didn't care about my weight either. It's all part of the depression. 

Hope this helps you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.