The fentanyl patch

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is it ok to skip a patch. I just started wearingvthe Fentanyl patch amd it makes me so sleepy, Shaky And sick to my stomach, where I can't eat anything Without throwing up. I have such bad headaches, also. I want to go to church tomorrow but, it's going to be almost impossible. So, I want to know if I can stop wearing the patch..or take it off one day early, just once. It is a bit too strong at first. I thre up the first night, everything I are all day.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pat  I have just read your letter, First of all  If you are having head aches stop taking them, go and see your doctor.  You dont mention what strength you are on, they range from 5 to 100 gr.  I have been on the patches for 15 plus years and yes I am possibly hooked on these but the doctor has said that  since  having the shingles the after effects pain needs to be sorted so he has yet again increased my patches to 125 mg.  Way down the line I was given the patch because I suffer from arthritas and my pain in my shoulders,hands, legs and knees the pain was increased as I cant control the postherpetic neurallgie, ontop of my arthritas.I am now 62 years old and twenty of that time is been wearing a patch.  but Please check with your doctor about the headaches .The patches I wear  I have to change them every 72 hours  they tell you not to put the patchin the same place  i.e.  change arms , but I dont do that I have always worn the patch in the same place, I buy medical wipes and clean that area then put on the new patch then place your hand on top just to ensure that it will stick to the skin.

with the warmth of your hand.

My only little issue I have,is  that I use talc and If you get it near the patches they come off your arm.  I wish you well, please stay in touch  Jocelyne in the UK

• Posted

Hi Jocelyne,

I am wearing my first patch so side effects will be at first. I'm sure they will wear off eventually. I am wearing a low dose of 25mcg's which I believe is the lowest dose here in the US. When I take the pills, they do the same but make me throw up worse. I lay down when I start to feel like I am getting sick. It helps. I take migrain medicine so maybe it knocks out the medicine. That could be why I get the headaches. I don't have many places to put the patch either. I get allergy shots in my arms so I put the patch just above my elbow. I can't reach my back and I sweat around my neck due to hormones. I'm 49 and had a full hysterectomy so I am going through menopause. I take hormone pills but still have sweats around my neck at night, when I am sleeping. I have to wear the patch due to my lack of being able to take any other pain medicine other than tramadol which I take with Gabapentin..weird because the patch reacts to Gabapentin, according to the internet. Tramadol doesn't do much at all except when I take it with Gabapentin..they work together 3 hours later. They don't help completely help though. I am in extreme pain due to a cystic lesion in my spinal canal and my nerve routes. This was from a car accident in 2000. Recently, I had an MRI andnow have Degenerative disc disease with scattered vertebrea on my S1(sciatic nerve route). Also, I have restless leg syndrome, Fibromyalgia and renently the show of a bakers cyst on the back of my legg(knee) which is more painfull than anything. I am going for an MRI soon, for that. It hurts when you lay down or stand for long periods of time. If you don't movevthe leg for long periods of time when laying down, it is real hard to move the leg and hurts extremely. I think it is attached to my veinsvin the back of my leg. So, I have to have this patch work for me. I am allergic to codeine. Darvacett used to work great but, they took it off the market. They always take the good stuff off. So, what I wanted to know is, can I skip wearing the patch for a day or two?

• Posted

Hi love, you are really going through it with your pain, I know Im suffering with the postherpetic neuralgia (shingles nerve Pain) its so bad some days  all I want to do is stay in bed and cry my self to sleep. BUT Im off work again, which is making my job   in jeperdy because I am unable to care for my students  I can see the head cancelling  my contract. because the nerve pain can attact at any time.  Regarding the patch  bear in mind you are putting the drug into your system but it also depleets comes out of your system very quickly. again please check with your doctor or your chemist. because you could get with drawal systems.

I wish you well, its not right that all us females have to go  through these horrible pain issues.  take care 

Jocelyne in cambridge U K

• Posted

Hi  I for got to say  im also on a liquid drug  called OxyNorm, its quick acting and lasts for around 4 hours, also could you be given Lidicain patched which you put over the nerves you can use them for 12 hours then you take them off for 12 hours, this one I could not get on with

take care Jocelyne  Cambridge UK

• Posted

I tried the Lidocaine Patches but they didn't do anything for me. I guess I will just have to tough it out for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the chat.
    • Posted

I agree with you  lidocaine patches  at first it was great, but after you start taking 3 of them off for the 12 hours on 12 hours off my skin became highly sensertive and I could not bear taking them off  so I have 6 boxes of patches that I cant use

Take care  gently hugs  Jocelyne 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.