the first 1.5 weeks has been dreadful, what did others do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking 10mg a day for the first week and started on 20mg this week, i have felt sick and haven't been sleeping well, i wake up early and can't drop off again. I feel so tired all the time, can barely get out of bed and i feel spaced out and detatched from people. Have also found it really hard on how i tell others, i just wondered if anyone had any useful things that helped them to tell people? and any methods you used to get through the first weeks..

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I am 2 weeks in and am going through the same. You are not alone. It feels like a bad drug trip for me. Detached , spacey, and medicated. I know it's hard right now to not focus on that because it's all I can do. Everyone in this form says it gets better and we just need to have faith that it does. It must be normal if both of us are dealing with it right? It's just nothing I've ever felt before and it can be scary. It's hard to have hope of times but we need to and we will get through this

• Posted

it is nice to know i'm not experiencing this alone, it is hard not to sit and think about how bad it is, but i agree if everyone says it will get better i suppose it will. Me too, even if i don't feel like going out i can usually manage it but i feel so spaced like i can't do anything. Thanks for the supportsmile

• Posted

At first I thought I was going mad. I'm still kind of do. For someone with anxiety this just makes everything worse and I can't possibly wrap my head around feeling normal again but we got To push on. We have no choice right?

• Posted

yeah i understand completely, and true we do. I think the most worrying thing for me is the loss of appetite.. i dont know if you have suffered this? as someone who usually loves food i can barely stand eating..
    • Posted

To be honest I was always a bit of a pig. Just not eating properly and I would eat anything you put in front of me. Lately I haven't been eating at all. Yesterday I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and another for dinner and I skipped lunch completely. This whole thing is surreal. The doctor did not warn me of any of this and it's all very disheartening. It definitely makes my anxiety worse

• Posted

I can agree the first week or 2 I could hardly eat but this week I've been eating like i used to which is great I think!! Lol you will both get there just try stay positive it's all worth it

• Posted

Its hard as my family are accusing me of not eating, which isn't the case..i just physically feel too full to swallow even though i haven't eaten. This leads to the lack of energy and surreal feel i think. The doctor only warned me about the sickness and said after 2 weeks it would wear off. As i am still studying my A- levels, it is worrying because i can't revise or concentrate due to feeling drowsy and spaced.

• Posted

Oh I hope it passes soon and yes I made myself eat porridge in a morning but it was hard and it does give you energy and help you concentrate
    • Posted

That is really difficult because they don't know what you're going through. Might make me feel like I am really high, and I hate it.

• Posted

Hi I started 10mg of Citalopram nearly 5 weeks ago and had all the symptoms you describe, it does get better I made myself go for a brisk walk a few times a day and it helped and the feeling of detachment went after a week or 2 so good luck it will pass and you will feel better in a bit more time
    • Posted

hi, thank you for that, i am trying to go out for walks but feeling spaced out i have found it hard to motivate myself. Thanks for the support smile hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Well today has been the best day so far and I do sometimes take a step back but I just keep moving forward but I know how hard it is at the beginning it's awful it's not living its surviving but it is all worth it

• Posted

It really does get better.

Re what to tell others.  I just tell people the truth and that I had anxiety and depression and that I wasn't feeling well and to please bear with me whilst I recovered (I recovered some years ago).  People who've never had this though really don't understand how fierce it can be, as they believe being depressed is a bit fed up / blue, and that anxiety is like waiting to sit an exam.  I wish!!

This is an illness.  Some people have diabetes and need medicine, and this illness also needs medicine too, just as any other ailment would do.  Also, just as a broken leg needs time to heal, so does this.

You can describe this illness in its darkest detail to people but they'll never fully appreciate how it actually feels, because the reality of it is so different to what any words can describe.

However, I can assure you that these meds will help you recover.

• Posted

thank you, i have told close family and friends and i will work to be able to tell others aroound me. Thank you for the advice and support! I hope you're doing well smile 

• Posted

Just checking in with you buddy to see how you were doing. I'm still about the same I just feel really off. Today is two weeks and two days for me. Hope you are feeling a bit better.

• Posted

i'm doing slightly better, i have noticed i am much less tearful which i normally really struggle with, so this is a huge win for me. With regards to food i'm still not feeling hungry but i hope after this week i will start to gain my appetite back..hope you are feeling ok too, thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.