The fluoxetine fuzz

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys, i'm in my fourth week of taking fluoxetine now, although I do feel better than I did 2 weeks ago I have this fuzzy feeling, like fog thats always in my head, its so frustrating and affecting my concentration! Any advice on this?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gee

I took Fluoxetine sevaral years ago and I felt the same, but my advice is to give any new med a few weeks to work.  Eventually I switched from Fluoxteine to Citalopram which has worked for years , but even with this there were side effects in the beginning.  My advice is to stick with it for a few weeks as SSRIs take a while to really work and the side effects will pass

xxx

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie! I'll definitely stick with it, its just hard having good and bad days, when I have a bad day its like going back to square one again sad thanks for the advice xx
    • Posted

Hi Gee

I'm right with you, I know its tough, I've been there, deep depressions, raging mania , sickening anxiety, but my psych told me to stick with the meds for a few weeks too see how they woprk.  It took me quite a while, to get stable, I was diagnosed in 1998, but its worth staying the course with the meds.  I'd say give it four or five weeks, if there isn't any improvement then go back to your psych.  SSRIs are great meds but there are so many of them and finding the one that suits you is trial and error!

You have my best wishes

xxx

• Posted

Hi, I'm due to start taking fluoxetine next Monday (on reducing dose of duloxetine at the moment) and I'm really nervous of the side effects. I've got a 3000 word essay on the Cold War due next Thursday so the lack of concentration is not something I'm looking forward to. I tried citalopram a few years back and I remember feeling awful. No one explained to me how important it was not to miss a dose though so I was forever stopping and starting them which wouldn't have helped. I'm much more sensible with my meds now smile I can't give you any advice but I can assure you you're not alone smile let's just hope that in a few weeks we'll both be feeling much better
  • Posted

Hello gee

I am an older lady who has had to deal with anxiety all my life.  Taking the meds is usually a great help....I have been taking Fluoxetine for a very long time, and I expect to be taking it forever.  I am not actually addicted, but feel comfortable with it.  Most of my anxiety has been caused by outside influence....remove the cause and the anxiety lessens.

It is a matter of giving time for effect to take place, sometimes several weeks.  And also getting to the root cause if possible. Many people on this site take a variety of anxiety drugs.  Some suit some....it is a case of trial and error sometimes.  Keep positive.  Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.