The Gift....I think I have it AGAIN!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Back in 2005..something came over me and I was able to stop drinking with little cravings and no effort.  I called it "The Gift". for me it was a gift from God.

I had drank all the years prior to that.  I had drank from when I was 17 until I reached 41 in 2005.

Then I stopped in 2005 until 2014 (8 years).

Then sh*t hit the fan in my life...I quit a really good career..and I thought I could have a 6 pack...WRONG!

For the past 3 years I have been struggling and I have been in and out of the hospital due to my drinking.  I have never had the feeling of the "gift" since 2005.

The last time I left the hospital was Oct 5th...only a month ago...and just last week..I fell and sprained my ankle very badly...and I was housebound and couch bound...and it came to my surprise that as depressed, anxious and sad as I was...I was not thinking of a drink.

ODD...So, then after that..it seemed every channel I put the TV on there was a "message" in whatever show I landed on....I really think that I have "The Gift" once again...and this time I am not letting it go!

Anyone who has stopped drinking for any period of time and have been doing well?  Do NOT EVER...think it is ok to pick up a drink or think that things will just go back to normal after a drink...they don't...they may never..If you currently have "The Gift" cherish it!

5 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

This is great news Misssy - brilliant! And quite inspiring for me as I make (yet another) attempt to go sober. All power to you! Keep us posted. x
  • Posted

Good advice Missy. Like you, I was able to stop by myself coming up to ten years ago and yes, the temptation is [u]still [/u]there. Maybe just one at Christmas etc? But so far, have said no thanks!  Keep up the good work. biggrin

• Posted

Don't ever give into that temptation john..I'm telling you it is not worth it.

Thank you for your post and Congratulations on 10 years! almost smile

• Posted

Hi misssy

i didnt realise you'd been in hospital again. What happened was it alcohol related. I was away first two weeks in October so must have missed it. Anyway, I hope your feeling better now.

I disagree slightly in that I can go two or three months without a drink, then a social event, holiday etc will come up and I will drink then. So I can pick up a drink when I want without it ending in a binge and then go back to not drinking.

however, having said that, and maybe this is what you meant. I went four years without a drink, then was given a wine and soda when I'd asked for lime and soda and enjoyed it. In retrospect, I should have just left it instead of having three more!

• Posted

Good to see you Vicky!

Yes, what I feel is different....I don't feel like I EVER need to drink again..not sure what happened but glad it did!

And yes, I was in the hospital again...alcohol related.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that as you were doing so well. Are you able to pinpoint what triggered it off. Half the time when I used to go off on a binge, I never knew what started it

anyway what's done is done. Important to take each day a step at a time,  ew day, new beginnings .

Take care

• Posted

Yes, do not ever return to alcohol.

Good for you Missy...

How is the ankle doing?

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Ankle has not healed completely (thank you for asking).

It has been torturus...first time I ever had a "sprained" ankle.

I was told it was "severe"...and this is over 2 weeks...still have a significant lump on the outer side of my ankle..not comfortable in my high tops.

The drinking..I still feel confident that I won't drink this time!

Thank God.

• Posted

Oh Misssy.

Praise the Good Lord...how many days sober do you have?

I know, the lump on the outside liked to have driven me nuts...I would ice and elevate and get my foot in a shoe...to have the ankle swell and swallow my shoe!

big hugs

judith

• Posted

hi ihavenonickname....I am a little over a month sober now.

And very happy about it.

Finally sleeping better.

Finally much less anxiety.

Finally able to function to do things I want to do.

Finally FREE.

smile

• Posted

Oh Misssy

How absolutely wonderful to hear.

I know this took so much courage, so much patience, and an awful lot of hard work!

Gois on you!

Keep up the hard work

big hugs

judith

• Posted

thank you john!

its also great to feel this way.

I was at a football game today and had a brief thought...of a beer.

BUT...in 2005 I also had "brief" thoughts.

The important thing is..that I got past it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.