The going private option, some info for you.

Posted , 3 users are following.

We know the NHS is pretty lacking when it comes to mental health services and despite an urgent referral to MH Team the psychiatrist can only see me at the end of January to review my medication etc.

So I spoke to my GP about a private consultation as the NHS one doesn't see private patients so gave me some details, I rang yesterday and have an appointment at The Priory on the 8th, I was surprised at the cost (£200) for the initial consultation as Id expected it to be much more but once the psychiatrist has recommended a course of treatment inc any med changes its then passed back to my GP to prescribe, if I want to continue seeing the psychiatrist at The Priory I can at £100 per session or alternatively can choose to go back into NHS hands and continue to be seen by the NHS psychiatrist who will have the Priory psychs report and its then free, I'll have to wait my turn to see an NHS psych but at least I'm seen nearly 3 weeks earlier which for me is worth the expense.

Its not ideal and I shouldn't have to do it but it's a choice if you may feel like exploring if like me you think the NHS system is letting you down.

Im really sorry if I've upset anybody who feels otherwise about private arrangements or who is not in a position to pay, I'm not really but for me needs must and I will have to do without other things but the money ive saved by not drinking has allowed me to save a bit. 

Neil 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neil

go for it I feel sad when I'm not supporting the great nhs! which In its. Concept is fab

but whereas when it started that generation were used to paying but now it's abused and genuine cases have to wait until non payers and Google hyperchondriacs fill up the spaces compounded by DNA's

What did you do before you became ill as I enjoy reading your posts ?  

• Posted

I used to work for Aviva as a claims manager until I got redundancy in 2004 which I wanted, with the payment and cashing in savings etc I paid the mortgage off and took a year out.

ive been playing drums though for 30 odd years on a semi pro basis so after redundancy I eventually went self employed and became a professional musician.

6 years ago I started working for Lancashire Music Service teaching rock school and work around 20 hours a week for them so I tought myself how to play guitar, bass and keyboard over that time and that provides my main income as I'm contracted by them including sick pay, teachers pension etc.

Im a drummer in a couple of bands including one of the X-Factor finalists Jonjo Kerr, friends with a couple of M-People musicians and did quite a bit of work with an ex boy band member (A1) Pail Marazzi.

I run a community group which identifies and develops young people's talent in the arts, and chairman of a boxing gym run by former World Welterweight Boxing Champion Michael Jennings with my focus on funding for projects to engage young people.

Lastly I'm also an active Arts Award Advisor and Moderator for Trinity College, it's a nationally recognised accreditation and qualification for young people to work towards in the arts which I deliver in various settings but also as a moderator I verify other advisors marking of arts awards to ensure they are passing or not at the right criteria level simply because it's administered by Trinity College.

So I'm a busy person working and making a living in a variety of different ways, it's not 9-5 but that's what I enjoy as apart from my LMS wirk my week is flexible.

As for my illness ive always been pre disposed to anxiety and underlying endogenic depression and have had 3 previous full on relapses, the first time I experienced full on anxiety and panic though came out of a promotion when at Aviva to Birmingham just after my first daughter was born in 1994 and found myself completely out of my depth, living during the week in a hotel and going home at weekends, I was experiencing debilitating anxiety and panic attacks and drinking heavily so I came home and returned to the Preston office.

Whenever I feel or think of something that makes me anxious I worry about relapsing which I need to cognitively get sorted as its Sonething that has "caused" my relapses, I basically fear relapse.

I need to re organise my relationship with anxiety which is generally triggered when I feel cornered with no exit (which I did in Birmingham).

Despite the trigger my anxiety then moves from this as I get it sorted and latches on to something else and the depression comes very quickly as its a genetic thing just waiting under the surface and I'm in a cycle not helped by the fact I have an obsessive personality so my obsession comes out with overthinking and analysing everything to try and get myself out of the illness, I know I'm on the mend when I start to switch off and forget my illness and am able to unconciously concentrate on other normal things, and start to think normally, then my anxiety and depression subsides.

Work has been great and happy for me to be off as long as needed although I go down to half pay after 6 months, I've kept playing and rehearsing which has been difficult and continued to do some voluntary work for the community group I run, although it's been put on the back burner which I can do.

Its my big 50 in June so I'm determined to be fit and well for then and am contemplating reducing my voluntary work and letting others run it but keeping involved as and when, but increasing the number of gigs I do with the two bands I'm involved in in order to keep my drinking to healthy levels as I didn't like gigging because it prevented me from binge drinking at weekends on my own which hasn't helped and contributed to this relapse and issues in my marriage, if I gig, I drive and rather than hitting the vodka when I got home at 1am I'll just go to bed (I'm getting support with my old drinking habits) and only had a couple of pints since September.

So there you go, probably more info than you wanted! 

Nx

• Posted

Hyperchondriacs are a huge problem, and i say that with some  compassion as I used to be one. Nerousis in general is costing the economy millions. People are so anxious and stressed. Until this is addressed as a society problem - the NHS wont be able to cope, it was not designed to cope with this. We need to help people be happier, and feel more secure in general, I dont think its actually a medical thing, its more to do with social security and family stability...
  • Posted

ive two wonderful daughters both of who I'm extremely proud of and if it wasn't for them Id have done something silly this time round. My eldest Natalie has been told she is the spit of Fearne Cotton and at Lancaster Uni, she's 21 in Feb. My youngest Lucy is 13 going on 33, she's very much like me but unlike me just takes things as she finds them and in her own stride.

Still got both my parents which I'm lucky for and only lost my last grandparent last year at the age of 103! 

Nx 

• Posted

Hi all,

I have deleted the long argumentative thread in this discussion. To summarise/answer points raised:

See http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/topics/59133-discussion-forums where there are guides and FAQs about using the forums. This includes http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398318-alternative-medicines-opinions-etc about opinions etc.

We do not have the time nor will we get involved in individual disputes between users but if discussions are breaking down due to conflicts or users are getting offensive please use the report link to draw them to our attention. 

The site is not funded by any pharmaceutical company.

https://patient.info/about-us

Moderators do watch this site and reported comments are deleted manually if required. There are FAQs in the first link above about moderating/deleted comments. When a comment is deleted there is a "Why" link to explain.

If you disagree with another user then either ignore them, don't reply or reply politely. If anyone has any issues there is an FAQ about how to contact me if required.

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.