The gyn who doesn’t take peri seriously (requested by Kazjo)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Kazjo asked me to share about my experience with my ex-gyn.  I hope this helps.  Two years ago, I was referred by a GP to a female gyn exactly my age (now 47).  I liked her at the first visit, but we were dealing with a specific situation that led to laparoscopic surgery and all exams and testing were specific to that.  The surgery went okay, but she and her staff made mistakes with my post-op prescriptions, leave paperwork for my employer, and other details.  Still, I liked her enough to go back for checkups.

Last year, I had trouble with new symptoms and went to her to request lab work.  She ordered it, but when it came back, I got three separate interpretations from her and two of her nurses after another round of follow-up testing.  I took the results to my GI doctor since the testing was about vitamin levels and he interpreted it for me correctly and answered my questions. 

I started looking for a new gyn but unfortunately had to visit her one more time for a possible infection.  I decided to try to talk with her about my peri symptoms and concerns.  She responded with a hostile, dismissive tone, saying that these are just “normal” things and telling me that I need a psychiatrist and medication.  However, I want help with these physical symptoms.  I know from having had a chronic illness for 22 years that getting help with the physical will help me emotionally to feel better, knowing that I am supported.

The good news is that I have finally chosen a new gyn and am setting up an appointment.  I chose a highly respected male doctor, coincidentally also my age, who is one of the top practitioners in his field in our community.  A good friend who is one of his patients recommends him highly.  I am hopeful that things will go well.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have found that my female gyn who’s in her late 40s like me is also dismissive of my menopause symptoms. “All normal” she says. Like I should just ignore the symptoms and move on. My GP who’s a 30 something man is more open to discussion of options. Very odd. I’m not sure if she’s going through it yet herself - you’d think that would make her more sympathetic. I know she thinks she’s reassuring me that nothing more serious is going on, but it doesn’t help me with the sometimes debilitating symptoms. 
    • Posted

Teri, I actually wondered at one point if my doctor was in denial about her own menopause.  My first gyn years ago was a male doctor and he was great, very caring and kind.  I’ve had bad experiences with two female gyns now.  It’s interesting to hear that your younger male GP is so open to discussion.  He sounds like a keeper! 
    • Posted

I do like my GP. He recently took over the practice from my former doctor who retired. He listened when I described my symptoms - anxiety and palpitations being the worst. As this is new for me, he agreed that it’s likely meno related. No HRT bc of strong family history of cardiovascular disease. He suggested Lexapro for a year and we’ll see where I am then. Haven’t started it yet - still on the fence. I’ve gotten myself to the gym everyday, hoping exercise will help. So far I do feel better 🙏

• Posted

Please keep us updated on your new gyn.  I hope it all goes well.  It amazes me how dismissive they are about all of these symptoms.  
    • Posted

Thanks.  It is definitely alarming when they are dismissive.
  • Posted

ANYBODY who dismisses this has no business being in the medical field! 

Myself and many other women on here have been debilitated by these symptoms . If something makes you so ill that you can’t go out drive sleep ... then it’s a BIG problem . Once again there’s pills for EVERYTHING except this !

• Posted

I cant really wrap my head around the entire MENO phenomena, and that it is not talked about,nor managed in the medical community or recognized, researched and remedied.

Its disgusting, here we are the WOMEN of the world suffering , and its being dismissed, downplayed, and hugely ignored.

• Posted

Wow my gp who is forty male sat with me for. Hour listening to everything on my list of complaints granted I used to work hospice with him when he would send patients to my unit but this dr also felt I wasn’t a candidate for hrt we tested my hormones but he felt this wasn’t the greatest way to see where I was at they came back normal he said your def peri! He mentioned antidepressants but he said I don’t feel like your depressed but he said I think since I’m a nurse and knowing how I could be that if I felt I needed them he would write a script I’m still on the search for a gyn there are so many horror stories my friend went thru hell and back because her blood work came back normal and he felt it wasn’t peri wtf is that ughhh my gp said some Drs are too text book and that’s how they practice ughh so the search continues for me but not knowing when a period is coming makes it even more difficult my friend had to wait for a couple of months from continued spotting to see a different dr which every thing was fine just got my period after almost three months of nothing I was so hoping that part of the nightmare would be over but nooooo I will be 50 this year this has been going on for about six years I know seriously I had it already I joked with my gp saying we should invent a pill that when your ready to be finished with your periods you take it and that’s it lol if only we had a good laugh and said we would be millionaires hahah
    • Posted

Chrisann, I hope you find a good gyn.  My last one also said my hormone levels were “normal.”  I think they need to redefine normal!  🌸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.