The high cost of Creon digestive enzymes

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi !

I just checked out the cost of Creon digestive enzymes and was shocked at the price of this medication. Not sure if I'm able to afford them. Can anyone tell me  why Creon is so expensive? There are other enzymes on the market at a fraction of the cost and I'm asking myself if its a question of quality, effectiveness or what makes the difference in price justified. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I realize that this thread is several years old, I just got slammed and I am still in a state of shock so I went online to investigate and found this conversation. I'd been having symptoms and my doctor did some tests and he prescribed Creon. I filled it at my local pharmacy, paid a $47 co-pay and went home and began taking the stuff. $47 is a bit high itself, but it is not uncommon with the newer, more expensive drugs. I figured it must be over $100 or some such. A few days later, I went to refill one of my regular prescriptions, and was told I would have to pay most of it out-of-pocket because I had run out of insurance coverage. It turns out the cost of 180 capsules of Creon is $2,500! I won't get my full Medicare Part D prescription insurance coverage back until January! I would not have filled the prescription if anyone had bothered to say, "By the way, did you know this is going to eat up your insurance coverage for the rest of the year?" There are other enzyme preparations on the market and they are over-the-counter and cheaper. I can't imagine what makes Creon so different or special. I've yet to reach my doctor and ask him about this. I intend to ask him if HE had any idea it was so expensive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.