The hits keep coming

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. This disease is truly awful. I’m just posting to remind us all to do our best to avoid stress at all costs. I just spoke at my brothers funeral mass and it really got my symptoms going again. I know things will get better but having no saliva in my mouth, virtually no tears in my eyes is awful. I just remind myself things could be so much worse. I will say do your best to avoid stress at all costs. The loss of my brother seemed to start a new flare. Strange huh? I wish you all well.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Chris, I agree. No tears is the worst. I feel the emotion, but no tears come. Sometimes I can squeeze out a few drops. I'm sorry your brother passed.

Marie

• Edited

I am sorry for your loss. Stress can knock us out and cause a flare up.

I too had problems like you, last year when my Dad passed. Stress is so awful .. I broke down and cried. It was a shock. I couldn't stop  crying for 3 days. I had to increase my anti-depressants as it was so bad.

Loosing a member of  family is so devastating. I wish you well too. take care of yourself, chris08587

• Edited

I'm sorry for your loss, Chris.

I think any kind of stress will cause a Sjogren's flare-up. That's certainly been true for me. Even minor stress, like a fall, will do it. Last time I fell heavily in the street, just a few months ago, I wasn't badly hurt but still had no saliva for several days afterwards - even though dry mouth isn't normally much of a problem for me.

Looking back to the mid-90s, I can see now that my first SS symptoms coincided with the realisation that my mother had started on the path to dementia, and that I - as an only child - would have to face this burden with her.

Try and be kind to yourself for the next few months. For the first 20 years of Sjogrens I found that my flares would pass, leaving me in complete remission. That's no longer true these days, but at least I get a good degree of recovery after flares. I hope your flare passes too without leaving your overall condition worse.

• Edited

Hi everyone been to ent .i have been diaganosed with burning tongue syndrome .which i knew before .this is the worse thing ever .just dont know what to do to .no cure could last 6 months are 6 years .never felt so down.
  • Edited

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about your brother.. Keep you in my prayers.

• Edited

So sorry to hear about your brother, prayers for you and family in this time of grief, yes you are right stress can trigger a flare, and this is hard to avoid sometimes, hope you are feeling better soon. God Bless
  • Edited

I am so so sorry. I do know how you feel I lost my brother too.  It is just as bad as losing your Mom which I did too.  I went to a cousin's funeral the other day.  It felt weird I was so broken from losing her. No tears Trying to talk to family and your mouth is so dry your words don't come out right if you don't have water in front of you.  I felt like ppl looked at me that I was faking my sorrow.  It was something I didn't expect I would be like that.  I really hate SS I also have POLYMYOSITIS which ppl can see the way I walk. With SS there is such hidden symptoms that you really can't say  to ppl what you have because than you have to explain what the dis is.  Ppl don't need to hear it all or want to hear it all. So I feel bad for you only your close relatives know your diagnosis.  Hang in there I don't know how many symptoms you have but it seems everything packs up when you least expect it too. I am really sorry for your lose and your SS

• Edited

So kind of you to reply. I was so dry that day I was eyeing the communion water. So thankful for your response. I have already lost both my parents so this loss of my brother is huge. I very much appreciate your kindness in reaching out to me🖐🏻

• Posted

So sorry for your loss, stress can bring a flare on quick, hope your feeling better soon, God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.