The Implant (implanon)

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had the contraceptive implanon since sept'6' and it has been since about march I've been suffering from heavy and irregular bleeding sometimes lasting as long as 10days sometimes 13days with maybe 5-6days rest it says this can last for up to a year. In the past I have used the injection but this caused weight gain and I'm forgetful with tablets. Should i carry on for a year to see if it settles or should i seek an alternative?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i have the same problem and im not sure what to do about it, i've been on the impant since Feb 06 and i have not had periods for years before that due to being on the depo injesction about six months after being on the implant my periods started to come back and hen they stopped, now they are back again and quite heavy, currently i have not stopped bleeding for a month and im not sure what to do as can the doctors do anything??
  • Posted

Hi, i have been on the Implanon now since Sept 06, at first my periods were ok, quite light, but now OMG , i must have a period 3 weeks out of every 4, its a bloody Knightmare ( excuse the pun ). Not sure wether to have it removed? any advice?
  • Posted

Hi

Had the implant in since July 05. Unfortunately i have had irregular periods throughout and although this has been an inconveince i have not really considered it to be a problem and i don't suffer from mood swings. However i do intend to have it removed next year and not replaced as i want to start a family. My only worry is that it will be a problem to concieve. I must say that my overall experience has been positive.

C x

• Posted

gosh i have the same problem 2weeks of period its very light though and two weeks without such a pain i have it for about a month now.. i will see how it goes in 3 months if it dont change i will have it taken out..
  • Posted

Ive been bleeding for over 6months now! had the implant for just over 2years, posted all my info in the forum, hope this helps.
  • Posted

I have had the Implanon implant for 2 1/2 years now. For just over two years i hav had no problems at all and then i started bleeding with no warning at all!! Other symptoms i had were severe mood swings, highs and lows, my face and back were covered in spots, vomiting and diarrhoea (none of which i had ever experienced for the first 2years on implanon!) I visited my doctor who told me that the hormone level in the implant was dropping and playing havoc with my body and that i should probably get it removed!! I am thankfully getting it removed next week!! Cant wait!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.