The Knee that goes clunk

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 12 weeks post op from tkr and doing fine. One thing that has me mystified is this clunking or thumping in my knee. I'm not sure if it's mostly sensation, or if it's actually audible. What is that?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It’s the implant when it bends. I’m not usually aware of mine, but occasionally notice it. You get used to it.
  • Posted

I haven’t noticed it as yet,but surgeon had told me that it happens to a lot of people and is normal.
  • Posted

It's the inherent sound of a brand new knee joint...metal on plastic.  Totally normal.  Will probably last the full recovery year...sometimes 18 months.  I'm 2 years and still hear it from time to time though rarely now.  

• Posted

Im 2 years and 3 months Lauriemac and I still feel it crunching and clunking. Ive been back to the hospital and had one check up since and nothing detrimental on the x ray. Apparently they say only time to worry is if you get pain with it. So dunno really but everything else seems to be OK. Only thing is it will never be like the original that God made.
  • Posted

My husband had tkr 4 weeks ago yesterday the home nursing said they have never seen a knee look so good he is walking with no walker no cane and now going for short walks ....my turn is 5/2/18 I’m hoping mine go’s the same way ....and physical therapy said he is doing better then anyone he has seen with total knee replacement and he did say he may hear or feel a noise with it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.