The last two days have been painful.

Posted , 5 users are following.

The last two days have been painful. Now at 11 45 pm they are easing.

The pain comes in waves. I find laying of my left side helps. I then catnap.

Despite the pains I managed to fix my man cave door and unblock a drain. It took 45mins. It made me feel better just because I have achieved something which needed doing.

My wife is my carer, I am disabled also with back and knees, I try to do things myself. She's a diamond and my wife not a slave.

I no longer drive a car. Colitis is very life changing. I haven't been out for 6 months except for hospital both times in an ambulance.

A vegan told me that colitis is because I eat the flesh of dead animals. So I offered him a bacon butty with HP sauce. It's like religion--- guilt

Tomorrow all being well I am going to tidy my man cave up.

I am lucky in that I have a large supportive family and I am money wise safe , just. Especially not driving. I get stuff delivered. Tesco and Asda are good.

It must be far worse for a younger person who loses their job and house because they can't work.

So when I get into the woe is me bit. I count my lucky stars, things could be worse.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi  Bob.....with as severe a flare as u r having u should have been started on 40 mgs a day!!!!!!...take all 20 mgs  first thing in am as they can interfere with ur sleep at nite. When u r tapering do it very slowly as flare can start again. If u haven't been told about tapering them slowly please google it  as its quite important to taper slowly or u can Induce a flare again. R u having bleeding ? MJ
    • Posted

No bleeding.

My GP is visiting tomorrow.

Today I feel better. I have been doing bigger poos. Before they were 1" long and 3/8" dia like a short pencil. Now they are 4" long but still thin.

In my vision my colon is inflamed which has made the internal diameter smaller. This has caused a back up of poo. The 24hour fast appears to have worked. I shall do another fast in 2 days time.

Bob

• Posted

Hi Bob.....glad to hear things are bit better for urself ..I've been watching out for how u wer....u wer mentioning shape of ur poop...this is what was happening to mine and on colonoscopy they discovered I had what is called stricture or narrowing of colon which meant I really needed to have surgery. Unfortunately in and around strictures and I don't mean to frighten u ...with uc there is bigger chance of developing cancer cells and this is why I would earnestly urge u to consider having colonoscopy. I no u said u wer an older client but please don't let that put u off...I'm 61 past and I have read on some of the other forums of 80 odd year olds having ileostomies and coming through them very successfully. Please have a very frank chat with ur gp tomorrow and get balls of some description rolling towards a resolution for investigations of some description. Life is very precious and I'm sure u have a whole lot more to give and to do in this life. MJ
    • Posted

I am 64 this year.

I am aware that colitis can lead to cancer.

My mum died from bowel cancer. My dad died 6 months later from a broken heart. 49 years married.

My mum and dad were from a different time and didn't talk about bum cancer. Edwardian up bringing.

I have to have the camera but I can't risk laxitives.

Incidently giving yourself enemas is dangerous so I will leave that to a medic.

Bob

• Posted

Hi Bob...still very young man then...that was sad re ur mum and dad......there is very slight increase with cancer and uc the longer u have it but apparently from all I had read with strictures there is an even bigger increase. With Crohns strictures are more common but less stats for cancer. 

I have self administered many enemas in past . I think cos the spout on the modern ones  are quite short there is less chance of any damage to rectum. Must Google that one . Hope all went well today for u MJ

• Posted

Today was pleasant no pain or discomfort.

8.15pm I am now feeling uncomfortable and bloated.

Colitis giving me a reminder.

My GP is pleased and will sort out the camera.

• Posted

Hi Bob....glad u had an ok day but sorry to heat colitis misbehaving again ! 😞 I know how that feels and my sympathy. Glad to hear gp is helping to move investigations forward. Hopefully it will happen pretty soon ! MJ
    • Posted

I finally fell asleep at about 4 am. While half asleep I had an event of explosive diarrhoea. So had a shower and nappy change and noticed the pains were much better.

Today I have eaten lightly.

200 ml chocolate milk shake

2 jam on toast

3 cheese and tomato on toast

I danish pastry

plus 3litres of liquids.

• Posted

Hi Bob...that's unfortunate but having read what u had eaten most of them have the potential for irritating the bowel. I personally could not have taken any of those in a flare or my bowel would have went mad.  The least bothersome of them would be the toast . Not that I'm telling u what to do but I hate to hear of anyone suffering.....I would Google and c what foods would be more suitable in a flare and also Google psyllium husk and psyllium seed ...2 separate things but from same thing....they can be helpful. Hoping u feel better soon MJ
    • Posted

I have no problem with these foods and today feel fine.

colitis is very individual and its differcult to know what foods cause a problem.

Muselia is a problem for me.

Tomatoes. I chop these fine.

Cheese is oK

Jam is ok

white bread is ok.

I eat a slice of toast then 1/2 hour later another slice. In between I drink a cup of tea.

Today I am going to have 2 toasted corned beef sandwiches for tea. I will eat them over an hour period.

I don't believe that junk food exsists. A big mac is fine providing its not every meal. Eat nothing but say carrots and it becomes unhealthy.

My shepards cottage pie recipe.

50% of the mince is fried in olive oil with onions. The rest is boiled. Add garden peas.

I used add carrots but they are high fibre. Add a knob of butter to the mashed spuds. Then sprinkle Worcester sauce on the mash. Back into oven to brown off the mash peaks.

I have veggie friends that seem to feel guilty if what they eat tastes nice.

Being able to enjoy foods is good for health.

I just eat lightly. Grazing.

Note I don't like big macs or the thin chips.

I like fat soft chips with a small bit of cod.

I had fish chips in Hospital and it was no problem and very nice.

I also add a pinch of salt.

Kind Regards

Boit

• Posted

Hi Bob... That's good u can eat that.....I had to b so careful when in flare with stuff like that.....when not in flare if I had taken a yogurt anymore than every few weeks 😥.....I no it's so individualised....my daughter unfortunately was diagnosed in March with crohns and she has certain stuff she cant eat.....wonderful how it hits us in all different ways...ur pie looks good...I must try that one.i love my food....thing is I'm over enjoying at mo after not being able to eat so many things lol  Will soon have to b very good.  May u continue to feel good 😀MJ 
    • Posted

So sorry about your daughter give her plenty of love.

Today I had scrambled eggs and diced bacon on toast with a HP sauce. Half pint of tea. Later I will have a small sponge roll and coffee. Then no more food until 11am tomorrow.

Also exercise such as vacuum cleaning is good and gets the systems working better. Its tempting to just lay around watching TV but one will get worse. Some days are bad and watching TV is best. But as soon as one is able start doing things.

Crohns is a nasty thing and can wreak lives. One must fight it. Enjoying food is part of the fight.

A nurse with crohns told me she has had it 33 years. Her longest remission is 6 years and her longest flair up 27 weeks.

Bob

• Posted

That was nice brunch ! U definetly don't get to eat a lot but I was like that in flares! Yeah days I was fit to do stuff I did it for I hate sitting about but then there's the days u can't manage anything !  Even cooking for oneself is a bother 😥 yeah crohns is def nasty....I just hope that within the next few years they come up with better treatments as I doubt they will get a cure for it...having said that I was reading article where it is supposed to be more bacterial related than uc ...so maybe they will get cure for it...it would be good ! 😊 27 weeks is long time ....nearly 7 months ! 😱  u like ur t ...so do I ! Enjoy ur sponge roll 😀 MJ 
    • Posted

Today at 1pm I had a bacon sandwich. 1 hour later pain. This was the first meal of the day. The pain has gone 6.45pm.

Identifying why and what is differcult.

Was it the bread or the bacon or the spread or the HP sauce. The bread was white not toasted. Maybe toast is ok not toasted not ok.

Today I have been playing guitar. later my daughter and son in law are comming round to borrow my drill. This will get me moving around sorting it out.

I am lucky that I have 4 adult kids a wife and friends supporting me. If I smell they tell me with no critism they care.

Regards

Bob.

• Posted

It may been bacon...pork is one of meats I think that causes more reactions in people...my son has IBS ....another one my family with gut disorder....and he has to avoid pork. Mayb hp sauce was too spicy but would hardly thought  it....white bread I always find to b ok...I read somewhere that toast is harsher on the digestive system. Lucky u that can play the guitar ! I have no musical talents...do enjoy listening to it however...like relaxing music. Yes it is good to have the support....I no about the smell....mine had got sooooo bad this past year....thankfully now I do not have that problem anymore which I personally must say is great. I used to keep boxes matches everywhere to strike and blow out to kill the smell of the gas lol. Anyway hopefully no more cramping and tomorrow is a better day ! MJ
    • Posted

I can't imagine the difference between toast and not toasted would cause a problem. The pain went after 4 hours.

I have noticed that if my back hurts then a pint of water helps. I am sure its kidneys.

I am wary of my kidneys because my kidneys stopped working once, January 2015.

For tea I had liver sausage on toast. And a cup of drinking chocolate. No problems.

Pork must be well cooked.

Bob.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.