The left side of my face hurts! All of it.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Three months back, I started feeling a mild pain on the left side of my face. It would stop whenever I took ibuprofen or slept and would come back whenever i was under stress or stared at my laptop for long. I am a Masters student so stress and I are currently live-in partners. I had this pain 2-3 times every week. My left temple had a sharp pain, I felt a throbbing pressure behind my left eye, my left jaws and left nostril would be hurting. This whole thing was recurrent until my exams were over and I went to a warmer place(Austin, Texas) for my vacation. Over there I only had this pain for a total of 3-4 days. 

It has been 3 weeks now that I returned to Buffalo, New York and have been experiencing excrutiating pain. The symptoms are same, only thing the left side of my tongue has an itching sensation and the left nostril hurts real bad. Whenever I am inhaling, I feel like I am breathing in extremely cold and dry air and this is causing a tingling feeling on all the teeth on left. I cannot chew anything from the left side of my mouth, the molars and premolars hurt too and if i take anything cold then it is killing my head and jaws. I saw a doctor and she had given me migraine medicines and a caffeine coated pain killer. The migraine med makes me dizzy and my heart rate increases. So, all in all I still did not get any relief. The nights are worse, I can barely sleep. Can anyone help me get an idea what exactly is wrong with me? I am in a lot of pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you clench and/or grind your teeth when under stress?  If so, it could be TMJD.  I had a stressful week last week, and I have been in very bad pain.  I stopped eatting solid food to give my jaw a break.  I am being treated by a neuromuscular dentist, who has designed an orthotic for me.  TMJ can trigger migraine and other headaches, as well as trigeminal neuralgia.  I suspect your trigeminal nerve is inflamed, due to sensitivity to temperatures.
    • Posted

Hi @marmiejoe, thanks for replying. I usually clench my teeth when under stress. Before going to the doctor, I thought that I was suffering from TMJ disorder but TMJD was ruled out the first minute the doctor checked me. She told me it was migraine and gave me meds. But its getting worse, my left jaws and nose are hurting a lot more than before. I am literally shutting my left nostril with my palm and breathing.
  • Posted

Hi I have exactly the same symptoms, I have been diagnoised with Typical facial pain and migraines, late diagnosis, as I thought it was my teen and had both removed.

Pregablin really helps

good luck with it all

• Posted

Hey thanks @shaheen35354 for replying to my post. I am sorry to hear that you had to remove your teeth. The thing is I cant even go to a dentist directly because my health insurance does not have any dental coverage. The worst thing is the migraine meds are not helping either. 
    • Posted

Oh no, sorry to hear that, Pregablin made a big difference, but start with small dosage, sadly we have to keep trying..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.