Hi guys

Am 3 weeks post op today and am wondering at what stage we

are allowed to sit on a normal size loo seat rather than, for me;

the leg dangling raised loo seat?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My surgeon said I could get rid of it at 6 week check up on my 1st hip replacement. If your feet are dangling it may be too high & u may not need it at all. If seat if as high as backs of your knees that's about right height & keep ur operated leg out straight in front of u as u sit on it
  • Posted

I never had a raised loo seat was never offered one but being only 5ft wasnt a problem and had a contraption which fitted round the loo to help me on and off and got rid of that at around 4 weeks
  • Posted

Well..I could never fit in my raised contraption....cry had to go in the most undignified way too, eek  they just dont make them big enough for blokes...Bits...to fit through... redfacecheesygrin I tried a donut type of raiser idea for the first one, but at 15 stone I flattened it... rolleyes so had to stretch my operated side out straight was all ok on the right side...cry but the left next to the wall in my loo was a real problem....lol
    • Posted

Yep, they're not easy for blokes 'bits' are they.  Some of them are not very wide either.

I'd recommend anyone to experiment as much as possible with their loo raiser (and any other kit) before they go in for the operation.

Graham

• Posted

I believe we all probably have a "bathroom" story. Mine was on Day 2 at home. On Morphine of course you aren't so clever. Sat on mine, since I didn't know how to properly attach it, I reached down on my left (surgical side ) to get toilet paper from a basket. The raised seat slipped off to the right and I slipped off to my left, landing on the floor between the toilet and small table with lamp. I thought. "What was *THAT*?? Managed to get up but fresh blood was coming from incision. Dr. looked at it the next day and I had tiny opening he put bandaid on. The bathroom is a dangerous place for us Hippies. 
  • Posted

I got rid of my raiser quite early. It was the type with handles either side and I could take away what my family dubbed ' the poo chute' (all boys in my house btw) and leave the bars. The boys hated it and I kept struggling off to the loo only to find they they had dumped the whole contraption on the other side of the bathroom and forgotten to put it back. 

My favourite contraption is my bath board - great for drying jumpers on when no longer needed for healing hips!

• Posted

I never even had a raised seat in the hospital. No one ever said I needed one... until I read this forum.
    • Posted

They are super great!!! Make sure to get one. It will really help you when getting up and down without all the pain.

Don't buy one used.. eek

• Posted

I'm a bit over 10 weeks post-op. Been doing without so far so I don't think I'll get one at this stage. I am lucky to have a handtowel rail right next to the left side of the loo. It's been useful for getting up...
    • Posted

Did they describe how you can use your walker to steady yourself also? Take it in with you folded, open it and when you need to, you can have an extra place to put your hand for balance. You sound like you're doing fine.
  • Posted

I'm 3 weeks post op today and I sit on a normal seat with a frame. My legs are only short to start with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.