the medicine i have been taking for years seems to be wearing off

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking the same medication for about 3-4 years now. All of a sudden I am having flare ups of similar symptoms that I had prior to starting the medication. I feel suddenly overwhlemed with emotions and want to cry for no reason. I have been getting extremely frustrated and irritated over things that shouldnt bother me and my mood swings have increased. I am afriad to change the medication I am on because I cannot afford to be disabled. Has anyone else had this problem? what should i do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you believe the anxiety medications you are taking are not working, or are actually making your situation worse, it is important that you first contact your doctor before taking any action or discontinuing using the medication. Also important to remember, this is not the end of the world. Whether you decide to approach your anxiety symptoms with or without medication, you can learn the tools you need to relieve your anxiety and start creating the life you really want.

• Posted

It's fairly common for medication to stop working or become less effective over time, no one really knows why. Heightened tolerance? The body and mind adjusting to it? Worn out synapses? Who knows? But it can be remedied, so don't despair, it just might take a little time and patience. But don't do anything rash and discuss it with your GP and/or mental health practitioner. It took me 23 years to reach the plateau of reasonable calm, stability and happiness I am standing on now. Do don't lose hope! And try to do things that keep you occupied and fulfilled, hard as it may be. It's more productive than staying indoors and feeling crap! Look after yourself
  • Posted

Dear K, I think you might be advised to get in touch with your GP.  You don't say what meds you are on.  I have lived with bi-polar all my adult life and have learned to get help when I feel an episode developing.  I have experienced my brain seemingly 'over-ride' the meds and now am back on Lithium. I  have been on it 2 yrs and I know that there are other people who post on this site who have been on it longer.  You do not mention what might have been a trigger for the symtoms you are now experiencing.  Be kind to yourself K and keep posting if it is helpful.  I recently had a 'high' blip and have found other peoples' experiences helpful.  Take care, Clare 
  • Posted

Hi there be brave and go and see your gp.  I am sure there are alternatives that will suit you, after all in 4 years there have probably been some advances.  Do you have to have blood tests to check your levels, if so maybe something is out of kilter?

Also talk to friends and family who understand you.  Take time out to relax and dont be frightened to say no to people at the moment maybe you have just taken on too much.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.