The menopause and migraines

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone reading today's Daily Mail may have seen the headline'Why migraines get worse for women as they hit the menopause'.

It says 'Women have suspected it for years and now scientists have  proved it....' No sxxt  Sherlock! We have been saying it for years, but it is not until a scientist confirms it that it is recognised as a fact.

I wonder what else we 'don't know'?rolleyes

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes never suffered ever from migraines but hit the menopause and i was getting migraine auras four a month! Thankfully no migraines but the auras were bad enough, had the ocassional pain over the eyes x
  • Posted

Was plaqued by migraine for 5 years and doctors dismissed that it was hormonal no matter how much I tried to tell them it was.  Debilitating.  Women are left suffering with this symptom that they really have no control over.  thanks for posting this.
  • Posted

Interestingly, I have always had headaches and suffered from debilitating migraines; however, having hit the peri/meno, they have decreased substantially.  I had always suffered from pounding headaches almost every month for three to four days sometimes a week since my 20's - now, I think I have suffered from two headaches in the last year - can't explain it but not complaining about that one
  • Posted

Yes I dont suffer migraines in menopause but its the one an only thing I haven't had. My sister suffers and ive just told her about the daily mail article.

Thanks for sharing x

• Posted

My headaches have actually decreased since this peri/meno thing started. I would always get terrible headaches around the time of my menses. I'm glad that it has decreased and hope it stays that way. I don't welcome those.
  • Posted

We're all smarter than doctors when it cones to menopause. We can write our own article or book.

Today my arms are a bit sore like I feel like I majorly worked out but I didnt. A bit tired and jittery too, but I actually slept well.

I feel like my arms/ shoulders shrunk. The only place I haven't been able to gain weight. Everywhere else I'm fat.

• Posted

I must try and find that article!! I've suffered debilitating menstrual migraines for almost 40 years and in the last 2 years they have become chronic! I've been to 3 different doctors and neurologist and they all agreed that menopause was making them worse and I need to keep on taking the preventative medication which doesn't help much at all. I've tried almost every medication both prescribed & herbal and the only one I've not tried is the ant epileptic drug but this has endless side effects and can cause dramatic weight loss, has anyone tried this drug don't know if I'm allowed to say name on here?? snd if do did it prevent migraines ?
    • Posted

Hi, I have a similar experience. I've always had headaches & an occasional migraine but when I hit my early 40s they became so severe & so regular. I'm now 53 & have had every prophylactic medication going as well as the as required tryptans etc. I have been taking what I think you are probably referring to Topiramate for about 3 years now & it certainly has been the most effective of all although I am on the highest dose & I do still have really bad spells where I wake up with pain every morning so my use of the migraine tablets as required increases & also I increase the Amitriptyline I take at night. The problem I find is seeing different GPs & different Neurologists... Everyone usually has a different idea what is going on. I saw a Neurologist last summer who said my pain was caused by overuse of analgesic ie paracetamol so advised aspirin. I know how careful I am so doubt that & aspirin has very little effect so I just use the tryptans medication instead. I've just come out of a v bad spell of having a full on migraine on a weekly or for nightly basis. For me that means I can't get out of my bed other than to the bathroom, vomiting all day & pain at the top end of the spectrum. I've asked numerous times over the last 10 years about the effect of hormones & it has been moreorless dismissed & told there is no evidence to support this & tests etc are inconclusive. So I never got anywhere with it. But regarding the anti epileptic I would say talk to whoever your prescriber is & consider it. Whilst I do get really poorly at times, since taking this treatment my migraines have actually improved in terms of frequency. Hope this helps!
    • Posted

Over the years I have often had a migraine-like headache at the start of a period. I also have disc problems in my neck which give me really sick headaches. GP was hopeless, just prescribed various painkillers that I could not take on an empty stomach. When you have that sort of headache you don't want to eat!

My Brother-in Law has suffered from migraines and told me of an over the counter tablet, don't know if I can mention brand names but it does reLEVE MIGRAines (think about it) and contains Buclizine hydrocloride which means I can take it on an empty stomach (usually with milk) and I don't feel sick! Happy Days! Wish I had discovered it YEARS ago.

• Posted

I've certainly had many more headaches and a few that don't respond to paracetamol since peri.

Thankfully not too many are migraine, but can be worrying heading that way.

Also I no longer enjoy a drink as I seem to get a hangover an hour after I've had just one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.