The more I fight it the worse it gets

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've been suffering from reflux for about a year now.  Ive it it for brief periods in my 20s but it always went away after a few weeks without treatment.

This time around (last year) I ended up in Nexium because my doc suspected I might have an ulcer (gnawing hunger, stomach pains) but I had no reflux at the time.  After months on Nexium I tried to get off and failed due to bad acid rebound.  The past year has been a nightmare of anxiety about my health and other things, and the reflux has been persistant through it all.  I've been on double dose of various PPIs, currently lansanprazole, and it was working to manage the symptoms up until a few weeks ago, where I started getting symptoms despite the PPI.

One thing I've noticed over the past year is, when I try to control the symptoms, give up alcohol, quit coffee, only eat plain foods, no fat, drink green tea, eat DGL and probiotics, it gets WORSE.  In fact the times it was at its best were the times I was eating whatever, drinking some beer every night and black coffee every morning.  I don't get it.  Anyone have a similar experience?

I have a scope scheduled later this month and I'm terrified they will find something awful like throat cancer since my PPIs don't seem to be working as well now.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First don't panic, PPI's don't always work all the time. I am going through a phase at the moment when I need extra. 

What you have to remember with reflux is that the PPI does a couple of things. 1. it reduces the acid in your stomach, when you stop taking it the acid comes back   2. It heals your insides. When you stop taking it the healing stops 

PPI's are often portrayed as the bad guys but they do a huge amount of good. I have been on them for over 10 years and always take my meds, as a result I can eat almost what I want. 

I suspect something you eat triggers it, for me its anything acidic like orange juice on an empty stomach, even the PPI can't stop the pain. 

As I always say to people one of the most dangerous things you do is drive or ride in a car. Cars kill people every day, PPI's dont. 

I suspect your problem is simply that you need to keep taking the PPI to control your symptoms but they do take a long time to work, so be patient and relax and then I suspect your problems will go away 

• Posted

My darling I doubt very much you will have cancer. People can suffer with reflux for over 30 yrs and not get cancer. It is quite rare.

First of all it sounds like stress is playing a big part in your illness. As it does in mine! Take some deep breaths. Find an activity that calms your mind and distracts you. We can focus so much on our illnesses that they consume us. Im guilty. It's when I'm not googling and stressing over my food that I'm much better too.

The ppis never worked for me and I live without them. I use gaviscon at night and dlg licorice. I also do yoga and meditation.

An endoscope is a good idea. Find out if you have an ulcer, helicobactor pylori or a hernia and then go from there. I also recommend you doing a breath test for SIBO. Make sure they test for hydrogen and methane gas. It's important to know as it effects treatment.

If you want to know how to get off the ppis with minimal rebound, ask me as I will share what I did with you.

Let us know how the endoscopy goes. U could ask to be tested for celiac disease as well. They take biopsies from the stomach.

Aromatherapy oils are good for stress too.

All the best

Dom

• Posted

Also remember that if your body is creating too much acid you need to do something to stop that acid being created. That is the job of the PPI, If you stop the PPI, you need to ensure that what you do instead reduces your acid. 

Too much acid can over the long term cause a lot of damage. But the PPI can heal that damage.  I had reflux for 20yrs before it was diagnosed, after 5 yrs on the PPI a follow up endscopy showed the PPI had done a great healing job. 

Please take care if you stop the PPI, especially if your doctor has said you must take it, because acid does damage without you even knowing

• Posted

I was bad with a cough for about 3 Years had its of things given by doctors to try nothing worked,then they did special x rays all they found was lots of acid as something not closing right, went on to acid reflux tablets ,taken for about 2 years if stop it returns ,very rear to be anything to worry about so relax and think of what you can do with your life and enjoy,good luck take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.