The never ending pain and soreness when exercising

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,l am 13 wks post back to work but am struggling with the exercising.l do my exercises religiously but feel it is an endless struggle with dealing with the discomfort that exercising brings,My calves and back of my knees always hurt, l do work through the pain which in turn makes it worse,the first turn on my exercise bike is excruciating once l am round once it's better but still painful,stretching is not too bad, lunging the same. I end up feeling a bit more supple but very sore. Am l doing this right ? Hubby thinks not he feels l should wait till the soreness goes my answer to that is that by then l would stiffen up be worse, HELP pse

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My honest opinion is that u have gone back to work too soon. Ur taking care of other people when u still nee to take good care of URSELF.
    • Posted

Thx for your concern, l have worked in the community for 25 yrs ,15 of them l have been in pain,so where l am now is really no different, l give everyone 100% and nobody but me when l am working knows how l am feeling, l do a 3 day week so l have time to receive some TLC on my days off, l will take care but l am OK to work Pse don't worry.
    • Posted

Thx for ur explanation. I NOPE I DIDNT SOUND TOO HARSH!!!

im gals u only work 3 days/week. I was very concerned, as I couldn't imagine taking cate of others at 12 weeks, but I guess we do what we have to do and what we want to do. It is good to have a balance of work and ur own time.

best regards, Damy

• Posted

Bling

We have talked before I am the one that both knees done I have recently join my local YMCA they have a great heated pool being in the water exercising and then the whirlpool . Trust after I'm done I can so feel it really feel it,home to ice .but at least it didn't hurt while I was doing it. I am 12 post op . Dr.. told me yesterday it takes time said it could take a year to be myself again. Just gotta keep going on smile

• Posted

Hi Tana,l want to go swimming but feel embarrassed my husband would come he is a great swimmer,what you did sounds great but of course you suffer afterwards,l don't think we have one near and l don't really have the time,up until my op l was having my two granddaughters every other weekend so when l am off l catch up or have them,l know what you are thinking l need to look after myself l know but when hear nanny l melt.l know it takes easily up to a yr and more so  hey ho off we go 😀
    • Posted

Tana, my tkr was Nov. of 2015. I haven't been doing well and am going tomorrow for a 2nd opinion. I joined my local wellness center, and today was my first day. I was in what they call a Gentle waves therapy class. It was 45 min. long, and the exercises felt gentle enough. I felt fine afterwards, but then as the day went on my pain increased. I was really in pain by the end of the day, and trying to ice and keep it elevated, but I haven't had so much pain in a couple of months! Do you have a lot of pain after your warm water therapy?

Betty

• Posted

Betsy

I do have quite a bit of soreness and swelling after I get done in the pool and the whirlpool but I go home ice and elevate. Do some stretching and then I'm usual fine. The doctor says one day it will be different and I believe that's true I'm looking forward to that day

• Posted

I can vouch for the fact that it does take a good year recovering and you are still early days.   Stick with the exercising and, more importantly, resting.  I was fortunate that I never went back to work and I certainly couldn't have at three months but it's whatever you are comfortable with.   It I'll get easier but it takes time.   I wish you all the best xx
  • Posted

I too have pain with exercising and have been told not to do anything that torques the knee. that is I should use the exercise bike or extensions that are controled and do not involve twisting. We are caught in a situation where they want us to build strength to get over pain and then tell us not to do too much and it might take a year to fully recover. If we did nothing for a year we woulg have a big problem with weakness. Therefore I have chosen to exercise carefully and do things that don't cause the pain to remain at an increased level.
    • Posted

Hi Tom,the trouble is l can hear the physio at the hospital come on now you have to work through the pain REALLY bet she never had it done.l use my exercise bike in conjunction with my stretches and other exercises,the first turn on the bike is wow,the second better and then it's OK, it's so true what you said but l suppose it's listen to your body,l am I my second week bk to work and apart from the first day l have managed,coming down stairs is a bit of a problem climbing no, my work in the community gives me exercise as l am in and out of people's houses up and down stairs,before op l would have to pull myself up each stair in agony but now the only part that kills me is my old knee which needs doing but l am not ready to go through this again,thx for comments duly noted keep posting
  • Posted

Hi

I would continue with my exercising, but do it gently. There is pain and then there is PAIN if your getting the PAIN you are working to hard.  That is your body telling you 'Ive had enough!'.  You will not stiffen up if you keep doing gentle exercises, trust me you wont! But you will do yourself no favours if you ignore the excessive PAIN and set yourself back.

I'm at 20 weeks TKR

Best wishes

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

Hi thanks it's trying to find the happy medium, l will not keep pushing if it gets too painful l go on my bike the first turn hurts the second is easier and then it's ok so l do know my limits its just l keep hearing the physio at the hospital you have to push through the pain now come on,her voice is on my head.l know l am doing well 13 wks po and second week bk to work,l suppose l just want to feel that l made the right choice having it done instead of suffering,silly really l am not stupid l know it takes a long long time,thx for comments will slow down .
    • Posted

Have you got the bike saddle up as high as it can go? That makes it a bit easier.

Its easy for physiotherapists to tell you to work through the pain. They are not feeling it! Listen to your body.

When I started on this forum I was doing everything at a pace! If physio said do 10 reps, I did 20 x 3 times a day. Walked for 20 - 30 mins twice a day and same with bike. 

Came on here to have a moan because I wasnt getting any better and was always in pain. Got slapped by a few of them for doing too much. I took a day off, nearly drove myself mad doing nothing, and started again slowly and gently this time.  Thats when I started to get better.

Try it

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

Yes Ann my saddle is as high as it goes,your right about the physio' they are great at giving advice and when you say it hurts they say l know well they don't..l also love this forum if it's only to have a moan,the trouble is l have always pushed my body that's how l function like l said to someone else when l was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 15 yrs ago mu GP said right now you stop work and look after yourself,well here l am down the line still working l was not letting this condition take my independence away,pain is a massive part of my life l have known nothing but pain for all those years,this pain is  different so l will listen more to this different pain and ease off,thx for comment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.