The new me...

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ladies!!Just have a question for all of you...I've actually been feeling good but still have bad days and very bad days but not as often thank goodness..My worst is head pressure and anxiety at this point but have learned to go with the flow..My question tho is how have you learned to love the new you??Im really having a hard time with this part...Looking in the mirror is not my favorite part of day anymore and have gained a little weight around hip area.But sometimes enjoying life is near impossible...I have a wonderful life but struggle enjoying sometimes...Im kinda stuck in a hole here...lol. Thank you ladies...

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

This is exactly the problem I have, it's the weirdest feeling ever. I have a lovely family etc but there always seems to be something hanging over me, like I don't want to get too happy in case something happens. I feel like I go through each day on auto pilot, paint a smile on etc but I just don't feel the same. I'm trying to build a stronger me so I can deal with this, staying positive etc but it's hard.

• Posted

Yes nic I understand...With me by the time 7 pm hits I can barely keep eyes open from acting like everything is ok all day...Thanks for reply and hope you also feel better soon...
  • Posted

I am the same Laurie...it has to be hormonal though as i felt optimistic again the last 10 or so days but woke up tired headache and flat again this morning. I feel blah and unmotivated which is not like me...i look in the mirror and feel so old even though i am 48. I have lost confidence and look at other women my age and they all look so together and well dressed. I struggle to shave my legs sometimes let alone accessorize!
    • Posted

Hi janine..me too. I feel strange though like disconected..someone has switch me off!!

(If anyone knows what i mean)....the only time when i felt this same way was when i had postnal depression...im like a robot!!! Does anyone else feel this strange??

• Posted

I had postnatal depression too Denise...and that is caused by hormones so i know for sure this is the same. Every time i got pregnant i had severe morning sickness from week 6 until about week 12. I am obviously sensitive to hormonal changes!

I know what you mean about disconnected...when i get the 'hormone hit' as i like to call it....i feel like I am on drugs...very spacy and in a bubble. Its very disconcerting and that alone can make me anxious. The depression is different from PND too...its up and down..not consistent with me...like a switch going on and off whereas postnatally it was a constant low.

Its bizarre...when i feel ok i think phew...but when i feel bad i think i am losing it. How many sh*tty years is this going to go on for ...thats what i want to know! I havent got the time or energy for it wink

• Posted

I agree Janine,

I had postpartum depression after my 1st baby. I was 18 years old. I locked myself in my room put my baby outside the door and cried and cried and cried. My mom took care of the baby until I got myself together. So I've always been sensitive to my hormones. Now I go through bouts of depression around the cycle times but it comes and goes. The anxiety is horrible and all the other physical stuff that comes along with it. When I feel good, I'm good, but when I feel bad it's hell. I can't imagine going several more years like this.

• Posted

You sound so like me...i still have regular cycles...but they are starting to change...and i definitely have a pattern of mood swings. So far it seems worse the second week of my cycle...day 9 ish it starts for about a week with severe flushing, anxiety and depression. Then it lifts again. It makes you feel so vulnerable. I am mentally fighting it most days. It is draining. We are definitely the stronger sex!
    • Posted

We most certainly are the stronger sex. I fight it mentally too. The part I really fight is the anxiety and the overwhelming sense of fear. I'm scared of everything down to my own shadow.
    • Posted

Thanx janine...yes postnal depression is fxxing HELL....but my story now has a lot to do with 'the so called safe herb' st johns wort...i hope someone out there will agree with me...here goes...

Well ,before xmas my periods were still fine.

Iwas consistant not light not heavy lasting around 4/5 days...ive been in peri now for years , about 6/7 years.. i had my period as normal on the 24/dec/16.. lasting 5 days......i took this st johns wort exactly 1 week after my period to give it a go pep me up a little ( really didnt know what it was used for. I thought it was like a ginseng) 2 days in i had a breakthrough bleed then nothing for four months STILL NOTHING..my gynea said it can totally flatten the estrogen testosterone and progesterone completly kill them off....as this is one of the side effects..( i didnt know this )...ive been in a living hell since i took them ( im off them but has taken months to get me back ) what im trying to say is that i think my estrogen was low but taking these horrendous so called herb had flattend my levels all together and im now paying the price...i was only on them for one week. YES ONE WEEK..!!! im extremly sensitive.. as i got seritonin syndrome 4 days in.... sorry peeps !! Im so angry as now im suffring from anxiety and crying for nothing episodes are doing my head in..

Thing is i know my body and the day i took that 'SHXT' it all started and that 4 months ago i was great..... enlighten me plz

• Posted

Wow Denise! Thanks for sharing the info..i had no idea. I actually bought a bottle if St Johns Wort about 2 months ago as i was sick of feeling flat. Thought i would try it....thank goodness I didn't! I am sensitive to Meds etc....even 1 glass of wine makes me tipsy. Someone told me its to do with your metabolism?

The funny thing is....i have had peri symptoms for a few years now but about 4 months ago it literally ramped up overnight.....and it may be a coincidence but I had just started meds for cholesterol called crestor. I stopped them but need to lower my cholesterol so going to have to try something else but a bit nervous now sad

And you are right...we do know our bodies and i always know when something is wrong...and its NOT in my head! Stay strong Denise...maybe google foods that help boost seratonin naturally..it may be worth try x

• Posted

Hi janine thanx for replying to me hunni im very gratefull for your intertaction coming off the st johns wort was a nightmare. It has the same side effects when coming off them as Prozac !!!!!! :-(

This herb has been graded to a amber triangle meaning' heed the warnings' or 'At your own risk.' As for my estrogen levels well i had to go private and he said my level was very very low..so i know what caused my estrogen to deplete as fast as it did. So for women who are at least perimenapausel and been in it for a while be very very careful taking this herb as it might push you further towards the menopause faster than you think...so janine id BIN THEM !!!!! Dont want this to happen to anyone else..people underestimate this herb! !! :-(

• Posted

I am definitely going to bin them! I was hoping they would help with my flat moods but something stopped me!

I have always been a carb/caffeine junkie so have quit caffeine and trying to eliminate sugars. I think it has helped a little. I still wake up every morning feeling blah though.

I just feel like groundhog day...same old stuff going on sad

The thing is I don't know what I want to do...i think I am at a bit of a crossroad. I have heard this is common in peri....i have just lost that spark. I have a great husband and three boys...20,16,14...they try to help but its hard for them to know what this feels like...i think they get sick of hearing me complain about my symptoms. I hope this doesn't go on for years....i have realised its up to us to trust our instincts and research things that may help...google has become my friend lol smile

• Posted

Yes you are so right about 'groundhog day!!

At the minute I have that "brain fog"..... like it's as if you are in dream state kind of mode but your eyes are open and you are awake...A lot like I was when I had the postnatal depression...its horrid coz every waking morning I'm like this... :-( it must have a lot to do with our serotonin because estrogen is directly involved with the serotonin and neurotransmitters that are connected to our moods and the brains behaviour and hormones effect everything!!!

I'm 49 but me too I don't want to go for long with this sh$t!!!!!!!!... I'm so glad hunni your going to bin them ...I really am !!!! :-)

• Posted

Hi Denise...my son is nearly finished his Excercise Science degree and he wants to go into medicine. He has been studying nutrition and amongst other things...menopause. He has been telling me that out stomach or gut is now regarded as a second 'brain' and we have a lot of our receptors for hormones there. In a nutshell if our digestive system is not good it can also impact our hormones and emotions. When you think about it, whenever you get anxious you get diarraea quite often too.

I know since peri stepped up I have had more digestive issues...like indigestion and constipation which I have never suffered from. I started small things like taking a probiotic...eating a couple of apples a day (pectin in them really beneficial)...no caffeine..meditation half an hour a day...and i must say it has helped a little. So I am going to start looking into the nutritional side of things more. Another thing that has helped is an amino acid supplement called L-Theanine. You find it naturally in tea but not in a big enough quantity to help. Its for the anxiety and its supposed to be as good as xanax in studies in helping anxiety. I got some from a naturopath and take about 1/4 teaspoon (powder) when i feel really anxious. Within about half an hour it just calms me down. Its not a drug so you don't feel anything...just don't feel wound up anymore. Look it up and see what you think? I think its great we can all share our experiences on here because we all get the support we don't seem to get anywhere else!

Take care smile

• Posted

Hi Laurie 

I so know how you feel! I feel almost as though I woke up in someone else's body. I feel really 'middle-aged'. (I've been middle-aged for a while now, but I sure didn't feel it). 

I am trying to love the new me. Part of this has been deciding to lose weight in a gentle enough way. Eating nutritious and healthy food. My body served me all of my life, perhaps it is time to give it some thanks and care. 

A lot of days I can't be bothered to do anything will myself, but I have become more interested in makeup, hairstyles to suite my face and ways to dress my body since it has changed. 

I joined some blogs for women over 40+ for example. 

I try to laugh each day, find new interests (I love gardening who knew!) and I''ve taken a few courses meaning I can if I want to have a different life, more suited to me now, and stop hankering over the past. (I used to be in finance now I am studying Holistic Healing). 

I spend hours in the shower, with essential oils, using oils and smells to help me kick start my day. The bathroom is my magic room, where I tend and care for myself as best I can that day. I hope that helps a little xx

• Posted

Hi junieju sorry for late reply, but for some odd reason my notifications go into my delete folder .frown Not as of yet. However, I am definitely thinking of doing one, when I have finished studying. Which is not long from now. (Hopefully). I also want to do meditations for women going through what we do. I say hopefully because of the energy factor!!
    • Posted

Hi Callianne

Sounds great what you are doing,

Do you have a blog, I was thinking of doing a forum for us wonderful women, but that takes a lot of time.

Great to come here and read what others are doing.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on, I find it very interesting.

Keep smiling

Junie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.