The only one

Posted , 4 users are following.

Glad I found this group. I feel like I am the only one with this heart condition.  What advice can you give when you have an episode and other people panic?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terry! 

I know it can be quite hard. You say heart condition and people tend to freak. My go to would be very clear. 

“It can’t kill me or harm me but sometimes my heart rate jumps very fast due to an extra electrical pathway. It’ll pass and I’ll be fine  but I just need to sit and breath for minute or two” would pretty much cover it. The most important thing for people to know is that it won’t kill you or cause you harm or induce a heart attack or anything like that smile 

• Posted

Thank you Emily2009. It happened at work yesterday and my boss freaked out.   I sat in her office for an hour.  Not that it lasted that long but she wouldn’t let me leave. She wanted to call an ambulance. I said no need.    She wanted me to breath into a paper bag.  I finally called my husband to come get me.   
    • Posted

Hi terry. 

It’s nice that she cares! I’ve been having these episodes since I was a kid. And since no one could capture them for ages it was just put down to panic attacks so no one cared. Then when I found out what it was and got older I would always give the heads up to employers as it was bound to happen every month minimum so they wouldn’t freak out when it did and so they knew what it was.  I was lucky in the sense that my episodes would last around 5 minutes and I became very proficient at the val salva. 

• Posted

I have had them for 15 years. I have warned my boss, and explained it.   I don’t get them very often so this was the first one at work.   I am lucky she cares. She is a great boss. 
  • Posted

Try and explain to them that you have had these before and you know what to do. Have you had an ablation? 
    • Posted

I have not had ablation.  Not sure if  I can have one. I have had 2 major open heart surgeries.  It has never been discussed. I don’t get SVT episodes very often. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.