The Physical Symptoms of Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

When we feel anxious a chain of automatic events occurs in our bodies which prepares us for action. This reaction is called the Flight or Fight response i.e. either to run away from the danger or to stand and fight it.

The reaction consists of the brain sending a message to pump a hormone called adrenalin into the blood stream and muscles of the arms and legs. The heart beats faster as it works harder to pump the blood and adrenalin around the body and this can cause palpitations and increased blood pressure. We breathe more quickly as the lungs are having to work harder, we generate more heat so our skin looks red and we sweat more to cool down. Our muscles become more tense causing aching muscles and tiredness, our mouth becomes dry and there may be difficulty in swallowing. Our digestion slows down as the blood is diverted away from the stomach to the large muscles and this may cause sickness, indigestion, butterflies. The body needs to be as light as possible so it gets rid of waste products causing the need to go to the toilet. The release of adrenaline and increased blood pressure causes headaches and dizziness.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I wish i knew all these a few weeks ago when i was suffering! My therapist explained this to me on my first CBT session and it made such a difference to how i viewed the panic attacks
    • Posted

Its changed the way I think now it's all in our heads had a ruff night Last night chest pain really bad but I said to my self it's that anxiety sh*# playing up lol

• Posted

That's exactly what i do now too. I keep wondering though why didn't the doctor mention this when i was going backwards and forwards for over a year worried about pins and needles and other weird symptoms... I suffered and was worried i was having a stroke! If i'd have known it was all down to anxiety i would have understood what was happening to me.... Oh well, can't do anything about it eh! I like lots of information on things, but don't google symptoms anymore... Not helpful!
    • Posted

I know lol I never do that now haha I have a pain in my toe comes up with toe cancer like WTF lol Google is nuts if u need to find anything out go to Dr's that's the best bet 
    • Posted

Gotta love Google.

dont know how many times I've typed in week 1 mirtazapine side effects... How should I feel on Mirtazapine...tingly head with mirtazapine..week 2 how should I feel on mitral aping...when will I feel better on mirtazapine lol Bet mirtazapine never had so many hits :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.