The Psoas muscle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have severe osteoarthritis in my left hip and moderate -severe in my right hip. I’ve been reading online and I’m wondering if anyone has any good, easy psoas muscle exercises?  I think I’m very stiff and my legs, upper thighs (in front) are painful and sore. I wonder if a shortened psoas muscle could be the culprit?  Please help. Any suggestions?  Thank you!😊

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I find doing pilates helps with flexibility.  I found a very good teacher who only holds small classes so everyone gets individual attention.  We work on all core muscles, but mainly abs and gluts and psoas.  It cannot explain the exercises on here, but they involve isolating the muscle and making what looks like quite small movements, but they are effective.  Try to find a Stott Pilates class near you.  
  • Posted

Just a little heads up.  If you find exercise doesn't help, or seems to make it worse, and if the pain is bilateral, consider that you may (unlikely but possible) have an inflammatory disorder called polymyalgia rheumatica.  Exercise and regular painkillers don't work, but low dose steroid treatment, usually for several years, can seem like a miracle.  My first symptoms, which I attributed to worsening OA, was stiffness, noticeable when getting up from a chair and the first few steps, for example.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.