The psychological side of peri and meno - unresolved issues?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I read that this phase of life is when unresolved issues from the first half/part of life tend to show up and need attention, resolution, etc.  This has happened to me in a big way over the last year, figuring out that my mother has a narcissistic personality disorder on top of the severe anxiety that she says I learned from her.  I am really at the tip of the iceberg figuring out how to start working through this.  Has anyone else had similar horribly difficult revelations, experiences, etc. arise during peri/meno?  I am working hard to gather the strength to get help with this on top of all the physical issues, but it is painful.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like I wrote your post! 

I have the exact same revelations

My mother always carried on, cried and had extreme worry and anxiety 

I feel like I am acting just like her

The good news about this is that I will be sure to not pass this on to my daughter, if I can help it!  

• Posted

Nanc, thanks for your reply.  Recognizing our similar behavior is the first step!  I totally understand.
  • Posted

After my birth, my mother had severe post partum despression and since then she is taking antidepressants and anti anxiety meds!

​Now I am also young woman going through severe perimenopause and sometimes my anxiety and my irritability reactions are uncontrollable. Antidepressants made me worse.

• Posted

I tried to discuss my anxiety with my gyn today.  She told me to go to a psychiatrist and get on medication.  I'm not going that route.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.