THE PURPLISH COLOUR IN MY ANKLE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I fractured my fibula and dislocated my left ankle on July 13th.  I had surgery to repair everything and had a plate and 8 metal screws inserted.  The two largest screws which go thru the tibia for stabilization are being removed on Sept. 13th.

I had a second surgery on Aug. 20 to have bone fragments removed from my foot.  That was a nasty painful surgery.

I am now almost 8 wks. post injury and have been in a boot for about two weeks.  My problem is that when I am not elevating my leg, my ankle and foot go a purplish colour. When I re-elevate it, it goes back to the normal colour.

I am really starting to be concerned, has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know if this is going to be an added bonus to a really painful injury?

I would appreciate any input or comments, thanks so much!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Deb,

I'm sorry you have to be part of this group. The purple foot is a normal part of healing and it does get better. I'm 2 wee

• Posted

I'm two weeks ahead of you on recovery. I still get quite a bit of swelling and more of a reddish purple tint now when my foot is down for long periods. Putting pressure on it is helping out with it. It sounds like you're right on track with recovery. I wish you well!

• Posted

I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my dilemma.  This has all been so overwhelming and painful and living alone has been even more of a challenge, but with wonderful friends and neighbours, I am coping - most of the time anyway ...lol

All the very best to you in your recovery.

This is a wonderful site with so many kind people supporting each other, I'm grateful I found it.

Have a wonderful day  smile

• Posted

Mine turns this color off and on for no reason at eight weeks.  I didn't have any complications and I am still doing well.  So it must be a normal color.  

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing well in your recovery!  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this, so I don't need to panic.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

• Posted

Vicky,

It's very normal. Unfortunately, no one tells you what to expect, so you have to rely on patient experience. Just keep elevating in between weight bearing walks! 😆

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Thats pretty normal. I'm seven weeks from a double ankle fusion & arch reconstruction & still can't leave my foot down for any length of time as it turns purple. They tell me it will get better. It just takes time. Good luck with your healing journey. 

• Posted

Hi Barb,

Oh boy, that sounds like a painful, nasty injury.

Thank you for responding and sharing your experience with me, I am grateful I found this site as it has been very helpful and supportive.

All the very best your way for a quick recovery smile

• Posted

The first time I was able to get in the shower without my boot, hubby was looking at my foot saying you need to put it up. It nit only turned a funky shade of purple, but it was really swolken and scaly looking because of all the dead skin. It really was a nasty sight! Hubby just kept saying put your foot up, lol! He really wasn't at all well with how it looked.

• Posted

I'll tell you one thing, I will be so happy to stop having to have bird baths in my kitchen.....oh .....a shower, sounds like heaven !!!

• Posted

I sat on that shower chair for a good 30 minutes. It was amazing! 😆

• Posted

Sorry to hear about you having to join us all on the ankle recovery. I'm now 21weeks since my accident. Still get quite a lot of pain but swelling has gone dwn a lot unless I'm on it for a while. The red/purple has now gone but does turn a lovely shade of pink. Can't tell you how exciting it was for my very first stand up shower. Bit nervous and still don't feel 100% safe, but it felt awesome. Weeks of Sat on a bath seat gone!!. I can't walk far and have a bad limp that I'm hoping will go at some point. I wish you well. It's a long ride but we will get there. Sx

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I'm sad to hear that you are still experiencing a lot of pain after so much time, that's terrible.  How disheartening, and it is so very easy to fall into depression when things look like they will never improve.

I'm grateful to hear that your purple/red foot has dissipated, I'm hoping mine goes away in time as well.

I understand how you would be really nervous having your first shower standing up, I know that will be frightening for me whenever I get there.  

I will keep very positive thoughts for your recovery process and you will be doing the jig -- limp free -- very soon.

Thank you for your kindness, Cheers!

• Posted

You have been through the proverbial mill!, Yikes! Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and I hope you are back on your feet as soon as possible

• Posted

Hey Zelda,

Yes, it's been tough going at times, that's for sure.  Thank you so very much for your response and best wishes, it means a lot!

What a great site and great people who support each other.  Thank you!

• Posted

It's been a great support for me. Even on my down days. And I mean down days which I've had many. Even have them still. The support I have had from this site had really been lifesaving fir me. Sx

• Posted

Hey Sandra,

When you get one of 'those' days ... you feel free to send me an email, I'd be happy to talk with you.

You take care and keep your chin up, we'll get there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.