The reason I can't go down stairs . .

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was so confused as to why I couldn't go down stairs as I know my knee bend is adequate, so today I watched the foot movements in slow motion and discovered the problem. it has nothing to do with the knee. . . .Through almost a year of walking with my leg straight, the achilles tendon has obviously shortened and wouldn't permit me to keep the foot flat on the step while lowering the good leg.  so now I have another tendon to work on!  On another note, I was looking for exercises for this particular problem on a page about the TKR.  It explained how on the second day you would get up, and probably walk on the third day.  And now for the real gem!  "It is normal to feel some discomfort at this stage"  You bet it is!

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Discomfort?!? Right......lol

From the perspective of 15 weeks and 4 days I can have a laugh about that one.

• Posted

If you walk downstairs with your foot at the ten to two position you will find it much easier.  I discovered that when I had my first TKR.
    • Posted

It may be easier but it encourages a bad habit that doesn't help you later.
    • Posted

my left leg is the operated leg, and the achilles tendon is definitely shortened. . . been stretching today in the hydrotherapy pool, but I think it will take quite a long time!
    • Posted

Hi Martin, is your hamstring short too? Doing runners stretches will help both.
    • Posted

You may want to search YouTube for achilles stretches/yoga.  There are a lot of vids tailored to individual areas.  I was having problems with shoulder and found a YouTube of some exercises for it and do not have the problem any more.   I had been fighting that problem for more than a year.
    • Posted

I've had achilles tendon pain before due to having developed flat feet, and also to a ciprofloxacino allergy . . so that may also have hardened the tendon and made it less flexible. . shoulder trouble too..One I managed to cure by a year's phsyiotherapy combined with injections, but the other ended up with an operation  on the rotator cuff, and smoothing of the bone . . it worked!  Nowhere near as painful as this operation, but the physio afterwards was long and painful . . not like this though!  I recovered 100 per cent movement in the end.  I must look for the achilles tendon exercises.  At the moment, I'm standing on the edge of the step and letting the heel drop with a bit of a bounce . . . but there have to be some other good exercises!. .
    • Posted

Pretty sure you are right . I have had achilles tendinitis several times which has hardened it  . . .  . . . 
    • Posted

I looked at and found a variety of achilles exercises and yoga postures on YouTube....    I just keyworded:  'Achilles tendon exercises yoga'... you may want to peruse some of these and see if you find something useful that is not Olympic training/Navy SEAL training level.
    • Posted

Just checked out some youtube exercises Three of the ones I was doing are right. . one was a definite NO! (standing on a step and stretching the achilles tendon!)  I remember that was one we taught many many years ago when learning to ride, so you could keep your heel well down in the stirrup.  Apparently really bad for the tendon!!!  thanks for the mention of You tube  . . i should have thought of that!
    • Posted

I've been having a lot of luck with the beginner yoga poses for various areas....  they are more passive and I find, if you give them time, the results are good. 

I ride Western (I am from Colorado ha ha) and keep the ball of my foot in a position where I can get out of the stirrup in a hurry.  I am going to try to go this summer on some gentle old pony that won't throw me on the ground!   Yes, best to use discretion as there are many YouTubes out there made by....well.... anyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.