The reason why we feel worse at first

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've posted this before a couple of years back but here's a laymans guide to what happens when we first start taking citalopram.

You take your first pill and immediately there is more serotonin, the feel good hormone available in your brain, so why do I feel crap?

The answer is receptors, at first your receptors see more serotonin available and say, Hey! there's  too much serotonin here and release less to where it is needed, this is why you get side effects and feel worse.

After repeated dosing for several weeks sometimes less in some people, the receptors see this increased serotonin as normal and become desensitised, they give up the fight and slowly start releasing serotonin to where it is needed and slowly we start to feel better.

Once you begin to feel better this then feeds off itself and recovery comes.

Last year I upped my dose in the middle of March, 12 weeks later I was fully recovered. Most of the improvements came in the last month. One thing to look out for is sleep, when your natural sleep quality improves then recovery is not too far around the corner.

4 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mark! Thank you for re-posting that. It helps me a great deal. Now I understand the process. Actually last night I slept better than I have been. I didn’t stare at the ceiling. Funny thing was I did the 5mg yesterday but this morning I went back to my 10mg. If I get to jittery and can’t sleep tonight I’ll go back to 5mg for a few days. Someone said in a post we know our own bodies and need to re-adjust our meds. I pray that everyone gets their strength and symptoms pass. You are all helping me with this process. 

THANK YOU!!😇

• Posted

Without a doubt everything that I have read, and it’s a lot lol, all suggests that head meds are absolutely experienced differently for each person.  One person can start on 20mg and feel no side effects (lucky gits) and the other person can start in 5 or 10 and be a quivering wreck.   Only you know what you can deal with, nobody else can determine what level of uncomfortable is acceptable for you.   I feel much calmer today.  I considered dropping to 5mg but will stick at 10 for the moment.  
    • Posted

You know what’s helping me.  I have downloaded a few wee spelling word search games.  Nothing too taxing but enough to remind me I am not a cabbage and my brain does work.  It’s quite therapeutic actually, helps me focus on something else.   I made a ghoulash today which is cooking away and was enjoyable.  I love to cook but found even that the first few days was too stressful,  little steps.   Hope everyone has a calm day.  X 
    • Posted

Laura, I play words with friends and yes it occupies my brain. A walk always helps me during the day. I’m just elated I slept for 6-7 hours. I haven’t had that for 2 weeks. I’m a little jittery with the 10mg but I’ll stick with it. Thanks for your support. Hope your day is calm and good!😎

• Posted

Will that’s great you managed to sleep better.   That will make all the difference, I want to go out a walk but after my shopping trauma yesterday I just can’t face going outside and it’s pouring here anyway so I will just stay cosy in the house with my cuddly dogs.   Perhaps tomorrow? 
    • Posted

Stick at 10 Laura, allow yourself to stabilise, well I would xxx  
    • Posted

Download ‘wood puzzle’ from the App Store, it looks boring but it’s clever and fun, it’s free and it’s satisfying and keeps me occupied when I’m anxious. See if you can beat my high score of 2120 ☺️
    • Posted

Candy crush has help me alot with my anxiety....in the beginning of my insomnia drama I would play candy crush until sunrise....
    • Posted

It’s interesting isn’t it the fact that sleep is not a problem for me ( I’m lucky in this respect ). Well let’s hope I’m not speaking too soon. Today was the most tired I’ve ever been so far! 7 weeks in....... but good for you Will that you got some much needed sleep👍  

• Posted

Recovery creeps up on you, as does getting unwell. I suffer from SAD and lots and lots of sun helps me along with the meds eventually.
    • Posted

Yup I get the SAD thing too. England weather does not help us eh.  I escaped to Fuerteventura in jan for 11 days to try and get some natural vitamin D. I uploaded a Utube video too to remind myself and my partner of the nice warm break we had in Costa Calma. I was happier there as was I in Florida where I spent 3 weeks driving 3000 miles. I was a different more confident person then.  I take vitamin D tablets every day now too as doc advised. If I knew a permanent warmer dryer climate would be the cure to much of my low feelings I’d make the move tomorrow! If only it was that easy....... 
    • Posted

I take a supplement too, but you get much more from the sun after mid April, before that you get none. Mid April is when my SAD begins to lift, it takes a few weeks but by late May/Early June I'm back to normal. I continue on the Citalopram but drop the low dose Mirtazapine as my natural sleep returns, it's such a relief when that happens! The citalopram helps along with plenty of sunshine.

• Posted

Interesting thanks for sharing Mark.  The sun was nice n sunny (around 24c) there in January when I was there for eleven days, it did rain too but there was sun every day without fail. Perhaps that’s why the locals seem a lot happier than we do here. They have some decent sunshine at some point during the day 365 days of the year! ?? ie every single day!  I’ve  added a profile pic of myself to this site as it’s all so anonymous on here.  Has anybody else been brave enough to ? 😉

• Posted

I’ve found you all nothing but helpful and you too Manny. 

I agree some doctors are useless, 14 years ago when I first went on cit my go put me on 20mg straight away!! Then two weeks later 40mg . He never told me about side effects so I thought I needed the 40 to get better. It left me quite tired. I missed 4 months back in September and am now on 30mg again I was on 20mg panicked and doctor put me up. He said it should have hit my system by now. I am wishing I had stayed on 20mg x

• Posted

Stay the course nucole it takes a along time as in months to feel better..why take 40when thirty could be the one.. consistent is key here.consistent on one dose..
    • Posted

I definitely don’t want 40mg. Just concerned as Doctor said it should be better by now but not quite there. Not sure if 4 months off is the same as starting again? 

Week 7 tomorrow of being back on cit and week 4 of 30mg

• Posted

My week 7 recently started too.  On 30mg for 3 weeks.  Yesterday was better, today, well this morning so far, horrid ‘I can’t stop moving’ anxiety again, trembling, shaking, dry mouth, usual feeling like I did a month ago 🙄

• Posted

Thank you that is a relief to know!

Feeling tired so exhausted lately and time of the month made anxiety worse hoping it kicks in more this week x

• Posted

Yes time of the month also causes anxiety issues.but once your body gets use to the meds ..that will go away...
    • Posted

How are you going now manny has the anxiety subsided a bit, it certainly is exhausting. I have been reading a book which was recommended by katecogs when I first came on this forum its by someone called Dr Weekes it certainly explains anxiety well. Saying a prayer for you all that we will be restored to excellent health!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.