The results came back, i have genital herpes!! What now??

Posted , 3 users are following.

worst migrane and back/neck pain. I was lucky that, eventhougwas over fairly quickly and produced very few and not painful sores. I knew straight away what my symptoms were and got tested via swab. I was positive it would be positive and when i came back negative i wasnt convinced so bought my own IGG test with a private clinic at 8 weeks. Eventhough i am a relistic person, the first negative result gave me a false sense of security. Today, my reults came back... the only word i could see on the page was positive. I felt the walls closing in on me and eventhough i wanted to cry, i was too numb for anything to happen. Id already done extensive research but ive spent the last few hours frantically googling "would you date a girl with herpes" etc. All im seeing is niave and ignorant comments about herpes sufferers being vile, sluts, dirty, unworthy and about every other hurtful word you can imagine. Eventhough i know its not my fault, i feel stupid amd dirty for taking such a risk (we did use condoms) and am now kicking myself for exposing myself to this for quick, rather rubish  sex just because i was feeling undesirable. The thought of telling someone in the future terrifies me and seeing those comments has scared me even more.

Another controvertial topic i would like to bring up is casual sex. Its not something i've done much in the past but im travelling for all of next summer and am curious if it is even slightly possible to have any sort of casual sexual encounters with this condition? Im just not ready for a serious relationship yet. How have you gone about it in the past? At what point do you feel is right to break the news to casual sex partners and potential relationships? I have so many questions right now so all advise and stories are welcome. 

Sorry about the lengthy and probably boring post. I just have no one else to talk to about this. 

Thanks in advance smile xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

(Sorry, forst part of post was cut off 🙈wink

So, i'm looking for as much help and advise as you can give me. I should start with a bit of background..

I’m 22, female. About a year and a half ago I went through a break up which left me pretty embarrassingly heartbroken. In that time i didn't have a single sexual encounter until 8 weeks ago, where i met a guy on holiday. We clicked and got quite close and ended up sleeping together. Long story short, he gave me herpes simplex 2. 

A few days after exposure i started to feel.. strange, (the only way to describe it) tingly, sunburnt type feeling on my skin, followed by the worst migraine and back/neck pain

• Posted

You had an outbreak with lesions that swabbed negative for herpes? What was your IgG value? Did they test you for HSV1 as well?
    • Posted

Hi, yes the swabs were negative. As soon as I realised I had a problem I went and got fully tested. At that point I only had one sore which was so small it was hardly noticeable. I did have hemorrhoids too which were really itchy (we had engaged in anal sex) and the swab was done analy. All the swabs were negative. A few days after the swab was done i noticed a few more sores/pimples wich cleared up withon 48 hours. I wasn't told the IGG value.. should I email the clinic and ask for a break down? I tested negative for HSV1.

• Posted

What I find odd (though not impossible) is that the swabs were negative. You say swabs, not swab, so more than one came back negative during your outbreak? Also, first outbreak herpes lesions don't come and go in 48 hours like some of yours did. I would maybe consider doing the IgG test again at a different clinic/lab to see how it compares.

• Posted

I thought that was odd at first. I just figured that the swab hadn't been taken from an open sore or it was a false negative (which I read are common?) I had one herpes swab and several others for other STDs. My lesions were easy to deal with tbh, unless I looked I didn't know they were there. The other symptoms were worse, backache, headache and just feeling really awful for about 2/3 days. I was planning to see a GP soon so I'll request another IGG. If you don't mind me asking (this is still so new to me) what impact does the IGG Have? I know it's for anti bodies in the blood so will the result getting higher over time? Sorry for the stupid question 😂😂

• Posted

Yes, you would expect the IgG to be higher at 3+ months. What was your score at two months? Swabs can be falsely negative, but if it was done early on in the outbreak and they swabbed a lesion, then it should be pretty reliable.
    • Posted

I'm not sure what it was at 8 weeks. The clinic just gave a positive or negative result. Would it be worth contacting them to see if they can give me the result and compare to another clinic at 3 months? 

• Posted

You can certainly try, but some labs give out only qualitative results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.