The side effects......

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on Orlistat now for about 2 weeks after having a very upsetting and patronising appointment with a locum GP at my surgery....who told me it takes healthy eating and exercise to lose weight - like I don't know that already!

I already eat a very low fat diet and wasn't convinced Orlistat would be the right way forward but she didn't like the appetite suppressant option as it can mean you need your blood pressure monitoring.

Well all I can say is I'd rather have to have my blood pressure monitored than suffer with these hideous side effects. I'm so disappointed after reading these posts that most people are absolutely fine and are not experiencing the same side effects are me - as I thought I was doing everything I could to avoid them. I'm self conscious enough about my size without having to be careful about being near a loo!

I'm in constant fear of \"accidents\" and have had a good few already and it's just so humiliating especially at work. For those who have posted about side effects - then yes it's a violent orange colour and the wind is awful. I constantly feel the need to go and am so conscious of breaking wind for fear of an \"accident\".

As a result, I'm rarely taking 3 a day as the side effects get worse and hence I've barely lost anything - a catch 22.

I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one and that I would get encouragement to perservere but alas it is not the case. I am either doing something incredibly wrong without realising or they just don't suit me. I keep food diaries and follow a low fat diet.

I am due back at the docs for my first weigh in on Mon 3rd Dec and will be asking to swap to Reductil. I have always felt it's my appetite that needs addressing rather than my diet.

How can I be expected to increase my exercise when fear of having an \"accident\" is constantly on my mind and a very real danger?

If anyone is experiencing the same I'd love to hear from you as I'm at my wits end.

Thanks for reading this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

[b:0534d3c7d0]hi i have been on them for 2 weeks due back at doctors around same time as you. well i have never had a bad experiance yet regarding the toilet bit , i have lost 4kg up to now i dont eat fatty food and try to have a healthy varied diet. but alas i do like the odd bun a week.but changed to half a scone. . i really only have a stone to lose i think but i do have other health issues that would benifit a few pounds off . i think if you cut the fat right down you may not be as bad i dont know really, but i was waiting for the really bad stuff to kick off and it never did keep going [/b:0534d3c7d0]
  • Posted

[quote:1f42b256aa=\"mookiemoomoo\"][b:1f42b256aa]hi i have been on them for 2 weeks due back at doctors around same time as you. well i have never had a bad experiance yet regarding the toilet bit , i have lost 4kg up to now i dont eat fatty food and try to have a healthy varied diet. but alas i do like the odd bun a week.but changed to half a scone. . i really only have a stone to lose i think but i do have other health issues that would benifit a few pounds off . i think if you cut the fat right down you may not be as bad i dont know really, but i was waiting for the really bad stuff to kick off and it never did keep going [/b:1f42b256aa][/quote:1f42b256aa]

Hi, I have been using Orlistat for a month now and to be honest i have not lost a lot, only my dignity!!

I am a smoker, we dont smoke in our house, we smoke outside, we were on our balcony last week having a cig, i coughed, having just had a shower i had my nighty on and no under wear, well that was it, my hubby was appalled, i had deposited the oily substance all over the floor!! :oops:

It does get better and controlable but i agree, if you get caught short its embarassing!!!

But i am going to stick with it, i hope you do the same.

ps, I am married to a soldier living in Portugal, i dont own the house with balcony, its a military hiring. (didnt want people to think we were posh, cuz we are not!)

• Posted

Hi, I took orlistat for two months last year before having to go back for a repeat prescription, i had all those embarassing side effects too, lucky my office is near the loo.

I went back to my GP for a repeat prescription only to find i hadnt actually lost the 5-10% of my excess weight as was required and had to beg for a new prescription.

I never really went back on them as my birthday and xmas was near. I want to go back on Orlistat but fear the GP wont renew my prescription next time around.

So back to doing it all myself again i suppose.

cheers

• Posted

hi ive bin on orlistat for 3 day and ive had a few problums with the loo dose this mean thay aint workin
  • Posted

Disappointed.....I'm sorry you are disappointed and unless you are unlike the rest of us the plain fact is (even though it sounds like I'm being unsympathetic, I'm not believe me) that you are eating too much fat. I would urge you to search for all the posts on this site which have been written by RR....and on another post today Sparkles gives a sample day's food for her. It's a hard lesson to learn and we've all had to learn to monitor ALL the things we eat...keep a food diary....get a Calorie counter book which will also give you fat content...it is vital to success...it is a complete and utter nuisance for a week or so but then you get fairly used to what is right but never get complacent. My hairdresser started on these and she was saying she wasn't losing either.....she had no idea that there was fat in milk or cereal (I'm not saying you don't know that) and she was eating bowls and bowls of cereal until I pointed out that cereal certainly has fat...read the packet.

To sum up.....please read the posts I mentioned and stick with it... It will work because we have proved it. You know you can do it. Just cut out the fat and you will begin to lose and as soon as you feel better that's the feeling that spurs you on. I know I've been firm in what I've written but I don't mean to upset you, only to help you make the right decisions for you and I wish you all the very best for the days ahead....we are all behind you, we all want to help you to lose that weight. Please keep going making the changes necessary to get on that downward track.

• Posted

i tried them last year and never took them seriously so never went back to the doctors..

I went back 4days ago and explained to my doctor that i will now take it seriously. He gave me another perscription no probs, as he wants to help me loose weight... Im sure if u tried going back to ur doctors, prehaps with a gym membership record, they will re-prescribe... people make mistakes, esp when it comes commiting to loosing excess weight... good luck x

• Posted

I've been on Orlistat for nearly 3 months and have lost about a stone and a half. They are only messy when you eat fatty foods, so the idea is you dont eat the fatty foods, or do and face the consequences. I have to say that I am a regular wearer of tenalady, which really is a godsend!
  • Posted

I took these 5 months ago and never had any orange except once because nothing I ate had more than 5% fat in it - that is 5g in 100g. I stopped tham having lost well thinking I could do it on my own - I can't! So I went back to my doc and she represcribed them no problem. Good luck

K

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.