The Sinclair method- anyone with experience?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi,

I'm currently doing a second detox, and findng it harder than expected. Not because of terrible withdrawal, but because for the first day (yesterday) I still kept feeling like I wanted to drink (and that made me feel not just agitated, but quite upset and angry- a stupid feeling of being deprived without drink).

But anyway, today is a bit better.

But I'm really wanting to hear if any of you have done/ are doing the sinclair method and your experiece of it. The idea of it has given me hope that makes me want to cry. That I could be like other people, that it could not always be a life of trying and failing, and trying to keep something overwhelmingly hard at bay- a life of always struggling, just to not feel desperate for something that I know will kill me, and destroy my ability to do a job I love and am good at, and worst of all to destroy my beautiful son. And the sense of a double life, of lying, hiding, feeling like I have a permanant black secret that would make everyone see me differently and jeaporadise my hard fought for career.

The sinclair method sounds so miraclulous that although I have tentative hope, it just sounds too good to be true. I am supposed to be starting next week. I have been reeling over the last week, with hope and then depression. I would love to hear anyone's experiences of their reality whether good or bad. 

Thank you.

Secondslong (because  for so long I feel I have been struggling through every second, knowing that in the length of a second, i can pick up the bottle and take myself back to obvlivion, but that if I dont I feel equally deperate. I have nothing but empathy and sadness for anyone else going through this and I do truly know it is not their fault, but for myself it is harder not to slip in to self blame and self- loathing)

2 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi secondslong,

My first day of naltrexone.

I think I really should be abstinence but at the moment find the thought of it overwhelming so am trying TSM. 

See my post "first naltrexone"

Kelly

• Posted

Best luck with TSM, Kelly! See my post to Sheryl for some info and tips to smooth out the journey. Eventually you will get to a point of indifference towards alcohol and you'll be able to freely choose drinking in moderation or abstinence. Just focus on staying compliant and being mindful in your drinking and you will get there!

• Posted

Hi there Kelly, how is it going on naltrexone - so hope it is good for you.

Keep well

Gwen

• Posted

Hi Kelly how is it going? Do you mind me asking you how you got your tablets, was it through your gp

Many thanks Helen x

• Posted

Hi secondslong,

I have just signed up and started to read the posts on here and feel very encouraged by what I am reading. I have bounced in and out of AA for the last 6 years and always end up leaving with a bad taste in my mouth. I can't relate to most of the shares I hear, and an constantly be told they are the Yets to happen to me. How are things going for you secondslong? like you I work and would struggle to get time of work if i was expected to go to therapy in order to be prescribe these pills. I live in Cornwall and not quite sure if the medication is available here. Any help would be much appreciated. Ps what a lovely hope filled forum this is.

Kind Regards Helen x

• Posted

Hello helen and welcome to the family.

I am UK also.  This forum has been brilliant for me.  I don't like the idea of AA and have not been.  My doc has never heard of TSM nor Naltrexone and just referred me to Alcohol Recovery which I really do not fancy.  Not comfortable with the idea.  I have tapered from 20 units to 2 on weekdays.

Someone from here will be able to tell you if the medication is available in Cornwall.

Stay with us you won't regret it.

G.

• Posted

Hi G

Thank you so much for your reply. This forum has already helped me so much by giving me hope. I'm sure We will find support and the solution to our problem. I just can't believe that something that seems to be helping so many desperate people our GPs are so behind. Mine had never heard of al anon 😯 I was aghast. Doesn't in still a lot of hope in me if this is my only avenue to get these tablets. Keep in touch G

Lotsies Helen x

• Posted

You can find a list of physicians at the CThree Foundation website, under the "Find a Physician" link. That could help you find a private doctor if it comes to that. Under the "Non Verified" section, you'll find links to Online Resources. C3 Europe also provides the required counseling if you do end up getting Selincro through NHS. Check this link under The Sinclair Method for more info, C3Europe also has links under the Services menu for information on local organizations that handle prescribing Selincro, though it seems the link for Cornwall is down as I write this.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

I believe Pharmacy2U will prescribe if you fit within guidelines. In any case, a drinking diary is often required, so start one if you haven't already. A drinking diary/log is also part of TSM and I can't say enough about how useful it is. 

• Posted

Thank you ADE for providing all the info above, it's very much appreciated.

My heads a bit batter at the minute but feeling encouraged by what I have read on this forum,

Thanks so much Helen,

• Posted

Hi Helen

Ade is absolutely correct. The info you need is all on c3 europe. Our local ARC was not very helpful, but we do intend going back there with a drink diary showing the results of TSM. My hubby went on Pharmacy2U got selincro and hasn't looked back. He is so well on TSM. He was a very poorly man.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck

Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Thank you for your message, it is giving the much needed hope I have been seeking for so long. How wonderful to hear about how well your husband is doing , what I relief it must be to you both that he has found a much needed solution. I can't believe I have never heard of this treatment befor. My husband died of this disease at Christmas and no one offered him this choice of treatment. I do wonder if i can afford to buy them myself. Can anybody tell me how much a month's supply would be and do you have to take the pills for the rest of your life . Many thanks Helen x

• Posted

Naltrexone or Selincro (per TSM) are indeed for life, but they are only to be taken on drinking days, not on dry days. So if you, for instance, drink 3 times a year, you will take 3 pills a year. 
    • Posted

Thanks ADE, i probably drink 4 days a week at present, that's me controlling it .

• Posted

That might pick up a bit once you start on TSM, as typically one would meet craving "head on" by taking the medication, waiting at least an hour to 90 minutes (depending on whether you're using Naltrexone or Selincro), then slowly having a drink. How many you drink per day is optional, but more than one isn't needed in order to advance a notch with TSM, so better to bear down on the quantity per night as you are able rather than trying to deny the craving.

• Posted

Hi Helen

So very sorry to hear you lost your Husband to this dreadful disease. I don't know how much longer my husband would have lived if not for TSM. He has had many problems gradually getting worse over the years.

So glad this treatment is giving you hope. Very unfortunate that our gps do not seem to want to know about this method, we were referred straight to an ARC; useless. So entrenched in abstinence, AA or the highway.

You may have a more informed gp where you are, so armed with C3europes printout, you may get Selincro.

I can private message you if you want the name of the Pharmacy my Husband uses. Also, we found Claudia Christians Ted ex London conference on YouTube really helpful and Joannas YouTube videos. We also bought Roy Eskapas The Cure For Alcholism really useful too.

Hope this helps

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Thank you JulieAnne, still greiving badly for my husband, who struggled with AA like so many but there just didn't seem like any other options being offered to both of us. If you could PM me the pharmacy your husband uses that would be very much appreciated. How is your husband doing, AA would have you believe without a spiritual program life is a white knuckle dry drunk ride, has this been your husband's experience using this method. I hope your don't mind me asking but I am desperate to find a Better solution that works for more rather than a few. Blessing to you Helen xx

• Posted

Very helpful advice taken on board. Thanks again Helen
    • Posted

Hi Helen

I believe he had quite a good group and still speaks to a couple of them. They have heard of TSM and are quite supportive of him using this method. He did manage to stay alcohol free for 2 years with the group's help, but then when he picked up again after that he was very poorly with seizures, blackouts etc.

I stumbled upon this forum in desperation as there was nothing that was working. This forum saved my husband and our lives together. The people on here are great. Joanna, one of the counsellors on C3europe is fantastic and has given my Husband so much helpful advice and support. She often comes on this site with helpful advice.

I will pm you later today. I am just off to work on a 12 hour shift 😞 hey ho got to earn the dosh.

I wish we had found TSM sooner, it would have saved us a lot of heartache. I don't know about you, but I feel badly let down by the medical profession.

Kindest Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Wow TSM really needs to be more known. So happy for happy for you and your husband. Thank you for your hopeful reply xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.