The Sinclair Method Patient Website Leaflet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have spoken to the Content Manager at Patient and unfortunately, the link to our TSM page has been removed.  It now diverts to a page about alcohol detoxification, which has no relevance whatsoever to The Sinclair Method.

Here was the link that should no longer be referred to when talking about The Sinclair Method on the forum.

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

Here is what the Content Manager replied:

‘Yes the leaflet has been removed.  As part of our redesign process we now have a policy of removing third party content and we are replacing it, as appropriate, with our own material.’

As the page was provided by C3 Foundation Europe, it was a third party inclusion, and hence it unfortunately fell within their pages of removal.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this.  It was good while it lasted and it has helped lots and lots of people whilst it was there and I do thank the Patient website for having this information available for the past 18 months.  Many lives, and much suffering, have been saved because of this page that allowed people to read about The Sinclair Method from a trusted website.

As to whether the doctors at Patient are going to write a similar page, I have no idea, but somehow I wouldn't expect it to be high on their list of priorities if they are restructing the entire website sad

C3 Foundation Europe, and others who have successfully recovered using this method will, I am sure, still help people find information, help and support on this forum, but I just wanted to let you all know not to automactically link to the previous link that many did link to.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

not enough and NOT acceptable. Becoming commercial and I am very disappointed in their policy regarding 3rd parties. Not at all acceptable and THANKS for your amazing effort! Robin
    • Posted

Thank you Robin, very kind words which I appreciate.

We have decided that since it was such a great leaflet, and C3 Foundation Europe have the copyright on it, we are going to rewrite the leaflet - word-for-word - onto the C3 Foundation site.  So, although it will no longer be a link that we can state on a reply to a forum user, we will at least have a link to the leaflet that we can include in PMs to users.

So, when you see some of us mentioning that we have PM'd a certain user, you will know that it is most likely going to be that leaflet that we are providing :-)

It's sad that Patient have had a policy decision and that the leaflet will no longer publically be available on the Patient site, but at least it will STILL be available by PM for those who may benefit from reading it!

Under the circumstances, it's the best solution we have to a policy decision that is beyond anyone's control.

)

PS I have bookmarked several other leaflets written by third party contributers so that I can monitor and check that they are also removed as part of the policy - otherwise that would be very unfair.  Here is one such that is written by a 3rd Party Charity Contributor and fact checked by Patients' doctors prior to publishing (just like The Sinclair Method leaflet was) so we should see this page be removed very soon too.  It may be that it is just they have started alphabetically with 'Acohol Misuse' and haven't yet reached D for Diabetes.

https://patient.info/health/diabetes-depression-distress-and-burnout

• Posted

Only just seen this post, I don't appear to have had a notification through, I was just manually browsing the forum.

No so fast Joanna. Not for nothing that I spent 20 years at a large international company, many of them in middle management. I can smell a rat at twenty paces, or perhaps I should rephrase that, I can research things in seconds that probably would not occur to anyone else.

If you Google 'emis diabetes uk' - EMIS owns Patient.info, and click on the first link, you will get a page that says this.

'GPs and practice nurses across the country are improving care for thousands of patients with type 2 diabetes, thanks to a partnership between EMIS Health and Diabetes UK.'

'alert clinicians to the patients’ HBA1C levels, blood pressure and cholesterol on the EMIS Web clinical system during consultations'

It is an old adage, but is seldom wrong, 'follow the money'.

Good luck with that 'third party' link being removed.

PS Anyone who looks up EMIS on Wikipedia, should read the top line.

'A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. It may require cleanup to comply with Wikipedia's content policies, particularly neutral point of view.'

• Posted

Oh RHGB, you really ARE good!!! twisted

Oh well, yep you are right - that leaflet won't be removed and I note that Diabetes UK have also written a leaflet about alcohol and diabetes.

One thing for sure - I will keep checking on TSM on this website since I wrote that leaflet and copyright belongs to me.  If anything including the same wording ever appears, I will pursue it!

But for now, i will PM you the new link when I've got it all set up.

Thanks

x

• Posted

Cool reply as usual!! You can see that I also did not like the situation and did not accept it...keep going! Thanks RHGB from Robin
  • Posted

You can still copy the TSM link, drop it into Google and pull up a cached page, to read it. Not ideal, I know. Second reply on the first page.
    • Posted

Yes, I've looked up and saved the cached history of the page and I have the original worded submission on my computer too.

But if they don't want to include it any longer then they don't.  We will have the new version once I've re-written it.  One of the big points of the page was that it filtered down to individual GP surgeries.  For example if you were on your local doctors website (to make an online appointment for example) then the TSM page would be there under the news section too.  It was informative.  We lose that now, so a PM with the new link will have to do.  Besides, when that was approved C3 Foundation Europe wasn't a charity organisation.  Now we are, so that gives us some credibility in the eyes of the public too :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.