The struggle of getting dressed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have OA in my thumbs. I really struggle getting dressed. For example putting on my bra is the worst. Socks aren't much better. How do you deal with it?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Really sympathise. Bra is the worst for me. I did try front fastening bras but the choice is scant and to be honest, wasnt that much easier. Have a look at JML bras - they have no fastenings, so they just go on over the head like a tee shirt etc. Given up on socks, nightmare. There are 'gizmos' on the market that are supposed to help but theyre all a bit cumbersome. There is one that is slightly better than most called a 'sock aid' but really theyre all a bit hard work to use. I've given up on socks - I either dont wear anything inside sandals or summer shoes or I wear Ugg boots all winter not needing socks. Does wearing a hand splint help? I found a great one that didnt restrict the wrist, just held the thumb joint itself secure. the splints with the metal straps and bars are hopeless, impossible to even brush my hair wearing one.

• Posted

I have one of those stock things but I still have to put the stock on it. It's really meant for people with limited mobility. Which I do suffer from chronic back pain. It didn't help me at all. I will have to look around for a better thumb splint. The ones I have go around the wrist and are so damn hot in the summer.

• Posted

yep I really understand about the sock thingy, werent much help to me either. The thumb support I bought is called the following: Push Braces Thumb Support Brace for Osteoarthritis of The CMC Joint Splint, I got it on Amazon. It only support s the thumb joint and not any other part of the hand or wrist. Not suitable for everyone with OA in that area but for me, with no OA in the wrist and therefore not wanting to immobilise the whole area, it was perfect for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.