The terrible fear it leaves you with

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just been told I have copd and it has hit me hard ,afraid ,down and gone of my food .ive now started to find a way of healing myself and am just looking into diet etc got some great inspirations .

ive just bought a Himalayan salt pipe  .pineapple juice for my cough   

And. Will let you know how I go 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Spiritlady,

Please don't be afraid, we are all in the same boat on here and it helps to read about other peoples experiences.  You will find that other people are a lot worse off.  Do follow your docs advice and treatment but I would be very interested to hear what you have found out about natural healing etc.  I have heard that curcumin is a good alternative to steroids.  Have you any knowledge of this please?

I'm sure we all on here wish you all the best and you will find that it's not as scary as you first think as time goes on.

Love and hugs. xx

• Posted

My daughter is a nurse and greatly into niutition so I a going to start when she comes next week she is very good she sent me a few links which I will put on here
  • Posted

Hello Spiritlady

Hearing unfavorable news from the medical side  does bring many emotions and thoughts. It takes a bit of time to set things right and make a decision as to what to do.

I feel the key to dealing with this is education. Learn as much as you can about every aspect of COPD.  And remember~ COPD is not a death sentence. It IS manageable and there are steps you can take to slow the progression and to improve your general health ~ all of which goes a long way to being able to lead a good life. The progression of COPD varies greatly from one person to the next and doing what you can will aid in delaying the end stage.

It is good to know you have your daughter to assist you and she may have some ideas for you as well, to improve things.

Take heart and move forward with your future...much of it is within your hands to improve!

Lill

• Posted

Being told you have COPD can put a bit of a damper on your day. I was diagnosed back in Oct 2015 and it took several months for me to settle down. What I found most helpful were websites like these and infomation information information. Find good websites like this one. Did the Dr say that you were elegible for pulmonary rehab? A good number of COPD patients are able to slow down the progression of their disease through medicines, exercise, diet and stopping smoking if you did or havent already. I quit smoking right after I was diagnosed and gained a couple stone, 8 kilo or 15 lbs.. all a matter of your geographics and preferance.. Stone is sounding good to me ;-p. Anyways, Im getting fat.. but im running on the treadmill now (not sure how fat and treadmill work but it is). work out as long as you can either in a chair, or a treadmill and go a reasonable pace for you. The key is stamina..not speed. check out foods that are anti inflammatory like pineapple, and root veggies.. beets, carrots, sweet potatos, and on and on. Apples are meant to be amazing and look after your Vit A, D, E and C.. Take a suppliment if need be. AND TRY TRY TRY to not stress (I have no business telling anyone not to because I am a giant stresser) because stress is what it is.. I firmly believe it has a massive impact. When Im fussing and freaking out or anxious, Im usually SOB. Breath!! Do yoga breathing or pursed and belly breathing.. its all good and we are all a bit different. What works for me 100% may not be what is best for you.  Knowledge is power and it helps so much to know I have some control over the progression.  How lucky you are to have a nurse for a daughter!! She will be great help with resourses etc.  

I wish you all the best!!

• Posted

My daughter has sent me some very inspiring videos that's brought the positivity back but it's a shame I Carnt post them on here cos they Wud be helpful they where to

Me

• Posted

There are also some YouTube vidoes of QiGong (A Chinese breathing video series from the Beijing Hutongs just down the road from me). Google Qi Gong Beijing Hutongs.. it seems a bit odd I must say but a great number of people love it and swear it clears the mucous from their lungs. The movements are slow and appear very low impact. The Chinese people walking by are very humerous as well. Im in Beijing and my YouTube doesnt work well (Beijing likes it like that).  Another Youtube great is Dr Noah Greenspan.. A very odd Dr with tatoos and a New York sense of humour but he does come with a halo in the American Lung Association group. I must say I watched one video (It took me two hours to watch a 20 min segment because of our Beijing issues so I probably wont do that again) and I did find him very informative. Ok enough of me tonight.. You are already sounding upbeat. Im so glad.. Keep up your spirits lovely lady.. this disease really has a way of grabbing hold of our spirits some days and dragging us down a bit. Know if you go there.. its all about changing the day as soon as you can.. amazing how we can feel like crap but having a bad attitude isnt going to make us feel any better but having a good attitude will make all the difference.
  • Posted

Oh and notice which foods produce more mucous!!  Mine are milk and Fatty meat.  I understand some people can eat these but the majority will experience more production. Wishing you all the best.
  • Posted

Highly recommend a pulmonary rehabilitation course, its both educational and offers exercise training.  This can of course remove some of the fear about the illness.

To encourage you and others, I have been diagnosed 12+ years, I have applied all that I learnt on the PR course and I can tell you it works, but for me personally I don't think I would have achieved so much in those 12 years just on pineapple juice and himalayan salt pipe, but it won't hurt to try it for sure.  I do many things authordox and unauthodox to help improvement my health and the combination is helping me for sure.  But the No.l recommendation for anyone diagnosed has to be attending a pulmonary rehabilitation course (in addition to stopping smoking if anyone is still doing that).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.