The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions

Posted , 264 users are following.

Would it be possible to keep this thread purely about Urolift and a means of sharing experiences from those who have undergone the process and invite debate from those considering it.

The Urolift process plus pros and cons are accurately described at many a website. Other very long threads discuss in detail BPH and other treatments such as TURPS, laser tend to overshadow people looking for advice on Urolift.

So for me, tired of getting up in the night. Tired of the medication and its side effects, tiredness and ED. Quality of life getting me down. I am 60 and reckon to be pretty fit and active.

I underwent this treatment (as an alternative to TURPS) 2 weeks ago at one of the 5 or 6 clinics/hospitals that appear to offer this treatment in the UK. It really was as simple as described on the web.

I had a 30 minute consultation with the consultant whereby he explained the procedure.

The treatment was booked for 10 am., it took about 15 minutes. I had it done under a local anaesthetic. To be frank if you are used to having your prostate and other bits probed there is no pain. It is just the thought of it you have to come to terms with. After the treatment you have to drink a lot of water to flush your system but I was allowed to drive home by dinner time.

First warning here. I did have to stop probably every 15 minutes with a sudden need to urinate. Fortunately I took a urine bottle from the clinic !

I could write for ages but will see what response I get to this post. I know on the day I was there, 4 other blokes were having the procedure and I sensed there was a regular flow of patients.

I’m now going through the period whereby I’m asking myself is there any improvement? It’s only 2 weeks in. I’m not sure is the answer at the moment. We are all different and recovery and improvement I am told does take time anything from 2/3 weeks to 2/3 months maybe longer. Your system needs time to readjust, I understand that, I don’t know how much time but I’m due for a follow up next week. I'm remaining positive.Would welcome comments from others.

18 likes, 1911 replies

1911 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Guys,

Just had urolift procedure bit uncomfortable but had a general and no  catheter inserted, on the plus side guys first pee was stronger and longer have a really good feeling about this...seems like you have to be positive.

just a little tip if anyone is trying to control their symptoms it helped me so much to cut out coffee and drink green tea, cut out too spicy foods, and take one 75mg diiclofenic at night took about a week to kick in but made life much better none of the horrible fllomax and other side effects... Also if you find it hard to start dip penis in warm water and this helped. I'm sure we all have read so much...enough for today.

Nothing to fear Guys I can't see a downside good luck to everyone.

By the way 61 year old from the UK.

regards Dave

• Posted

Hi David;  Can you please tell us what the "Diiclofenic 75mg" does for you???
    • Posted

Thank you for your input Had mind done on monday best thing I ever di.  It still stings a little but flow is much better ( had a catheter in for 2 day..)  Take care had happy healing  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Chuck,

Diclophenic made life quite a bit easier for me as regularly I would be driving and very quickly would become desperate to pee my temperature would rise suddenly face bright red etc theses bouts stopped altogether .

Also the having to get up in the night went from 5 or 6 times two 2 or sometimes not at all, as I say no coffee just green tea and I had to slow up on tonic water and the like, but very much had it under control of course I thought I had this cracked so cut out the Diclophenic and all it all returned.

Of course this might not be right for everyone I asked my doctor about this and he said it must be the anti imflamoty, hope this helps a little

regards Dave.

• Posted

Thanks for that Ken same for me, I also think their is a little mind set to sort out as I could drive home and within minutes of the destination be desperate, I think with what we have had done a really positive attitude we will be spot on.

regards Dave

• Posted

Yes that is ture. But I think it has something to do with the ip and down with the car.  When they took the catheter out on wednesday I pee very well.  I went out after and it only took me 15 minutes to get there.  When I was getting out of the car I had to pee nd could not hold it I peed in my pants.  Lucky for me I got a male pant just in case.  My underware was dry and so were my pants  Peed gret this morning.  Very little pain.  My doctor gave me hydrocodone/apap 5-325mg Going to stop taking them soon  Have a good day.. Ken
  • Posted

Just wanted to check in and say that I won my appeal! The insurance company wrote me a letter stating that they are retroactively approving the procedure.
    • Posted

Peete; May we ask what is your age and who do you have for an insurance company???   Iam sure Iam going to run into the "Language of its experimental" and not have my BC-BS pay for it.  Very frustrating.
    • Posted

Chuck I am 61. I'd rather not say who my insurance company is because  I

I don't want to give away too much personal information. I contacted teh folks who manufacture Urolift, and they gave me access to articles that I attached to my appeal. I argued that the procedure is not experimental, since it has been approved by the FDA, Medicare and Aetna. I attached the two year study. The three year study is coming out in a few days. 

• Posted

Peete;  You are "giving me hope".  I turn 65 in 3 months and will be on Medicare Parts A and B and D + a Medicare Supp.  Maybe they will approve it and I can get it done.
    • Posted

I wish you luck, ChuckP. I think the procedure will be getting more and more acceptance. 
  • Posted

Recent urolift procedure:

Figured it was time to provide an update to the community on my issues.

I had the urolift procedure done almost 5 weeks ago. Reasons for the procedure were 3x uti over three years, poor stream, hesitancy, double urination, but not nocturia. (See my previous post) My prostate volume was estimated at being between 45 and 65 cc, (2 different scans) with some bladder wall thickening and a residual of 130 ml at the time of my most recent uti as per the scan last year.

My urologist in Australia was happy at the time of the procedure that I was a classic case for urolift, 4 implants utilised, no median lobe.

I had a catheter for about 8 hrs - first and I wish it would be the last. I struggled immensely with bladder spasms and the overwhelming urge to urinate, despite the knowledge that there was no need. I dabbed lignocaine gel regularly on and just inside the meatus, which helped that discomfort.

Day 1 - razorblades every 20-30 minutes, visible blood, urgency +++. Used small panty-liners for the minor bleeding post-void from the urethral meatus.

Day 2 - razorblades diminished 50% from day 1, now able to go up to an hour between visits to the bathroom.

Day 3 - end of the bleeding, further improvement in the burning with urination and frequency/urgency.

Most pleasing at this stage - no trouble whatsoever initiating urination. Stream was still poor, but mild improvement from pre-op.

Now, 5 weeks on: Feels like I've turned back the clock between 5 and 10 years in terms of stream. Still not a firehose by any means, but there's no longer any danger of my shoes being wet...It's weakest first thing in the morning and sometimes becomes a thing of beauty thereafter. Double voiding is now infrequent, vs routine pre-op.

Ah, yes, also all of this with no finesteride or prasozin since surgery. I'm 55 and didn't experience any issues with erectile function on them, but since stopping them I've discovered that the finesteride was indeed impacting on my performance.

I'm also back to not getting up at night 4 out of 5 nights. 

In the puzzling category, I have experienced a very strong correlation with the desire/need to defecate whenever urinating since the procedure - fortunately it's steadily decreasing in intensity and duration, now that I've learned that the feeling is limited to about 15 min max after urination. Odd...

So, to summarise, on balance I'm pretty happy that I had the procedure and hope that the window for further improvement hasn't closed.

Hope this helps some on the forum who might still be on the fence...

• Posted

An interesting post Ozchilly. I'm 6 months in now and its probably time to post an update. One thing I have noted was that those of us on here who went into Urolift did so  from different starting points. For me I was fed up with getting up in the night for a pee and fed up with taking the drugs. The latter is something I really think the urology profession should get their act together on.
    • Posted

Dear Ozchilly.  I am glad that all is going well with you.  I had my done 6 days ago. Yes the catheter was a pain.  Had one for 2 days.  First time and I hope the last.  My Doctor felt it was best and I trust him to do what best for me.   Had more pain from the catheter they the surgery. Had the bleeding and all the pain like you had.  The first day I had it out was very painful but I did not feel when it came out.  Had to do a voiding trial.  When the nurse put in the 250cc of liqud when he started to pull it out I shot it accross the room and on him and on the floor.  It has been 6 day and the last couple of days I have not gotten up in the morning peeing great.  Only problem I am having is wakeing up with morning wood.  The doctor did not tell me when I can have sex.  Read you should wait a month.  I see him on the 11th.  we will see then.  The uro-lift is the best thing for  men today.  Don't let the doctor talk you into anything that cuts the prostate.  Because once they do that it gone and it will cause more problems.  Try the Uro-life first  I'm 59 Take care and happy healing  Ken 
    • Posted

Some doctors do not have a personnel touch.  I'm glad I have a good doctor.  Some of the post that I have read it seams like the doctors are poking at straws. Stopping the blood to the prostate (pae) or turp or turis that is all cutting of the prostate. With that they cause other problems and we don't need that. Men please look everthing up on the internet and talk to your doctor and ask questions and if you don't understand ask again.  And if the doctor will not do it time for a new doctor.  It is your body that there cutting up and the side effect are yours...Ken 59      
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for your update, had urolift just 2 days ago already an improvement in flow and volume, feel a little beaten up and still bleeding keeping posative and posts like yours really help. I am in the UK and urolift was a private medical procedure and not covered by any insurance so it was a dissuasion based on research these post I feel are important to know it's not something you are facing on your own.all the very best Dave.
    • Posted

David glad I can help some.  It's the best thing I have done Been putting up with it for many years.  I am on day 6 bleeding has stopped still a little pain when I pee.  But that was from the catheter I had in for 2 days.  Wish I could fine out how to send my e-mail to you so we can keep in touch.  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Thank you for the update Ozchilly. I'm 69 years old. I fought with BPH for at least 10 years!  After the meds I was on quit working, I was told by my urologist that I was a good candidate for the Urolift procedure. It was done 4 days ago.  

So, my questions are: 

1. How long does the burning sensation while urinating last?

2. I'm still getting up every 1 1/2 hours to go to the bathroom. This starts as a burning sensation that wakes me up. How long before any improvement is seen?

3. The urine flow seems slower than before the procedure. Is this possibly due to swelling of the prostate?

4. Did you suffer from the retrograde thing that is experienced by patients of Green Laser and other invasive surgeries?

Anyway, my doctor seems pleased about the results so I guess it's on me to be patient and let myself heal. If you have anything else to add to your post that would help me get through this, it's appreciated!

• Posted

Hi.

I'm 56 and had the Urolift procedure 4 days ago but had to have a catheter in for 2 days as I couldn't pee immediately after the surgery. I spent a day on day three undergoing TWOC (Trial without Catheter) which seemed to go okay, but one day after the Catheter out, my stream is really poor and the pain is worse than when I was having the TWOC.

Interesting some of the other comments on here, as I also seem to be getting the urge to defecate when I get a sudden urge to pee now. 

I'm drinking lots of fluids and am hoping the flow improves (and the pain reduces) as time passes, otherwise I will be dissapointed with the outcome. 

• Posted

I am 50 years old and had a Urolift October 23, 2017.  I was fortunate not to have a catheter. It took about 36-48 hours to stop having blood in my Urine.  I still feel like I have to dedicate when I urinate too. I think it has subsided a bit though. My flow is faster but I still wake up at least once per night to urinate.

Hopefully this will improve, its, why I got the procedure.

A general question for anyone on here. What time of day do you stop drinking water so you wake up less at night?

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Neil:

I had the same symptoms and it's really disconcerting.  Good news, they go away!  I wish the defecating part would have been on the possible side effects list, it would have saved me a lot of angst.  Some guys are out playing golf three days later- not me.  Check back with us in 2-4 weeks and tell us how you feel overall.

George

• Posted

I'll be 69 in a couple weeks.  My Urolift was in May.  The URGENT need to pee is much, much better.  but even at night, I get up every two, or two and a half hours.  I usually stay up after the last time, and maybe sleep a little bit in my chair.  I try not to drink anything after 6:00 PM or so.  I did have a catheter after the procedure, much to my chagrin.  I was glad to get rid of it after a few days.  I'm satisfied with the procedure and glad I had it done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.