The vitamin D cascade or flow of the cofactors required to rebalance our bodies.**

Posted , 5 users are following.

I thought I would repost this VitaminD flow chart that I made a year ago to understand my body's needs for healing. I know how time constrained you all are so this is a short form without any of the other healing supplements identified - but to my mind these are the Minimum requirements.

The vitamin D cascade or flow of the cofactors required to rebalance our bodies.**

> CALCIUM Dr. Thomas Levy, MD: “Calcium is essential for body function and that’s not being called into question. The goal is to expose the real and grave danger of pumping excessive amounts of calcium into our bodies. The amount of calcium needed for a healthy cellular function is infinitesimally small relative to the amount found in bones. Most adults have no need for significant calcium intake and older people already are significantly accumulating calcium.”

**> VITAMIN D3 **   helps regulate calcium and other minerals in our bodies.  Using a Baseline of 5,000 iu/day, after getting bloodwork up to ~ 70 ng/ml

> VITAMIN K2    is required to move the calcium from our intestines to our Bones.   Two types; both are needed -MK-4500 mcg MK-7180 mcg

**> VITAMIN A       prevents vitamin D toxicity, and vice versaRatio of 1X to 3X Vit A to D intake, ie. 5,000 to 15,000 iu

> MAGNESIUM  prevents calcium from lodging in arteries.400- 1,400 mg a day. If you take calcium supplements, the ratio of magnesium to calcium should be double magneium 2: 1 MAG. to calcium.

**> BORON **     helps to activate Vitamin D, and keeps calcium out of the kidneys~ 6 mg/day and 9 mg/day for autoimmune and cancer healing.

**> ZINC               grasps the Vit D molecule to hold it to its receptor on our genomes. Vitamin D must have zinc to get it into bone cellsminimum 10 mg extra/day beyond food intake

>OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDSincreases active vitamin D - especially in people with poorly functioning livers or kidneys. 1 gram of Omega-3 seems to be enough. Improves Libido.

> SELENIUM is necessary for the conversion of the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4) into its more active counterpart, triiodothyronine. It takes 3 full months to see a possible reduction in thyroid antibodies ( that apparently so many LS sufferers have).200 mcg - 400 mcg.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

thank you i really appreciate the info, especially since i have osteoporosis. Has anyone tried any of the pharmaceutical meds for osteo, and if so, does it affect the LS?

• Posted

OH gosh YES! Cynthia I was so focused on solving for autoimmune LS that it hadn't occurred to me that my little list is also a truly perfect for understanding why folks with osteoporosis don't need calcium as much as they need all the other listed that get the calcium we eat from our veggies to the right place in our bodies - our bones!

Cynthia... you might try putting the phrase into google: Does X med cause nutritional deficiency? and inverse sentences.

• Posted

Thanks, Nancy. That's a lot easier to deal with. Have yet to get the K2 and selenium, but I'm already taking so many and the last order was pretty steep. Have now found a less expensive source (no shipping) but the last time I posted it the moderator blocked it. Think W and huge.

• Posted

hahaha... you are American right? got it...

but hey, we don't have to use supplements for the K vitamins IF we are healthy and regular eaters of lots of dark leafy greens and eggs; butter; fermented soy (tempeh, not tofu); Green Tea, dark chicken.

AND we don't have to use a supplement of selenium IF we get into the habit of eating 2 or 3 BRAZIL NUTS per day.

cheers and happy Sunday.

I do hope anyone who is in the Louisiana gulf area and up the mississippi river areas are all safe and sound.

• Posted

Hi Nancy, you mention soy. In amongst the piles of reading I'm trying to digest at the moment I read that soy can interfere with T3 / Thyroxine for Hypothyroidism, which a number of LS sufferers also suffer from. Have you come across this at all?

• Posted

I was just looking at that (W) site and there are so many pages of Vit K's I've never heard of. K1, K2, K3, K4, K7 and different combos. Didn't find 2, 4 and 7 together, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. How do you choose brands?

I seem to be taking a whole lot more of zinc than you do. Have no idea why I am. My D3 is a lot less, but I do get sun. Probably you do as well?

I would much rather eat three Brazil nuts a day than take yet another pill! Plus I like nuts.

• Posted

OH! that list is just showing the MINIMUM zinc... I am currently taking 40 mg a day. I would have been worried about that much a few years ago but then I looked up the current understanding about the ratio between zinc and copper. Oh my, someone has changed the science. I just yesterday found a medical site that listed a newish normal of 15 zinc to 1 copper. So we should be counting up all our sources of copper to not go over. ther might be some in a multi, etc. and I just reread whti wonderful Doctor MD site re there being some copper in the brazil nuts too. smiles...

www.deanna minich. com/copper-to-zinc-achieving-the-right-balance/

ah, but your vitamin K problems - grin... I don't know abything aobut the K3 K4 K7??? are you sure... there is something about Vitamin K2 have two forms that have a 4 and 7 in it but that's all I remember. Since apparently no one knows yet an ideal ratio for D to K, but they DO surmise that someK is needed and also surmise at this point that the K does NOT have to go up with the amount of D taken... I figure no worries.

Cheers,

• Posted

I am taking 50 mg of zinc, but I can't remember why I chose that dosage. Maybe out of ignorance! Copper is 2 mg so I would say I'm overboard on zinc if you've got the correct ratio.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.